Ben Affleck Is the New Batman

Batman-Superman feature to hit theaters July 17, 2015

Ben Affleck is Batman.

The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Batman-Superman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.

Batman Backlash: Ben Affleck Has Nothing on Michael Keaton

Directed by “Man of Steel” filmmaker Zack Snyder, the Batman-Superman feature will open worldwide on July 17, 2015, with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Diane Lane reprising their roles.

“Man of Steel,” released this past June, has earned over $650 million at the global box office.

PHOTOS: Actors Who Have Played Batman

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” Snyder said in a statement. “I can’t wait to work with him.”

The announcement of a Batman-Superman film was revealed last month at Comic-Con to much excitement of fanboys, who will surely be watching as the studio begins to assemble its Justice League.

SEE ALSO: Superman and Batman to Team Up in Movie

The irony of Thursday’s news is that at one point Warner Bros. was interested in having Affleck direct the “Justice League” movie and his participation in this film will now spur interest if whether his casting means a possibility of directing that film.

The Boston native recently upped his Hollywood power when he won the Best Picture Oscar for “Argo.”

Affleck, repped by WME, can be seen next in Fox and New Regency’s thriller “Runner Runner.”

1. SeriouslyPOd says:

Josh Brolin is a midget! At least pick somebody taller than Tom Cruise. If they’re going to use the story Dark Knight Returns ,(which is rumored), where Supes is faced off against a much older Batman. Then there’s only 1 choice, Ray Stevenson. Who is the meanest son of a bitch I’ve seen since Clint Eastwood was relevant.

2. Loyall says:

No Ben afleck noooooooooo

3. Cole says:

Go jump off a cliff

4. Cole says:

Ben afleck suck he dousnt have the right face its round not square

5. Cole says:

Ben afleck is horribal he is not the right batman and all the peaple who say yes are wrong his face isn’t squar it’s round

6. BB.Gaijin says:

That he loves the character doesn’t make him the best fit for the role. He’s a top top director but a mediocre actor. They really f’d up with this choice. Karl Urban or Michael Fassbender, off the top of my head, would have been by a looong mile, better choices for the role.

7. Mindy says:

Firstly I don’t believe there is an actor out there including Bale who loves this character more than Ben. Ben has been a champion of superhero films and comic nearly all his life. With his materful writting and directing talents behind him he will create a deep and interesting Batman for everyone to invest in. Even if you are not a fan of his work you can not deny the man is passionate and caring about all his projects. I say let the games begin and I can’t wait to see how this plays out on screen. My bet is that Ben smashes it. I can’t wait to see it. Ps. Henry Cavill was poo pooed by many a fan who soon shut up when he showed them his beautiful treatment of the character.

• Mix says:

I agree with Mindy. I had never thought of Ben as batman, but I felt relaxed when he was chosen instead of silly ideas like tiny Gordon-Levit, Fassbander who is in every 3rd film that hits screens, and other too old, too ugly, too blond, too different ethnicity etc. I’m not a fan, but I think we should give Ben a chance. He has the looks and a pretty young face despite his age (so he can make a couple of JL sequels), he knows how to direct and he has become mature inside. I didnt know Bale or Keaton, and see how they finally performed. Whoever the choice would be, there would always be different opinions. Certainly Ben is a surprise, but might be a very good choice

8. nic says:

I don’t see it. I just don’t

9. Shlomi says:

Ok with all due respect to Christian bale & I loved the way he played batman (love the terminator salvation too , too bad no follow up for that one ) back to point I think bale is being a asshole for not returning to play batman with all deals Warner bro he got offered his fans want him back so why not just play batman just for the fans , and Ben affleck I got nothing against this guy but I being waiting for justice league live action film too long and I don’t think affleck is a good bet , I prefer a new face actor with no film history then affleck (sorry affleck u had u chance with super hero film and u also said once u don’t wanna a super hero any more then wtf ?) help out me out if u agree sorry if my English is not ok this for reading

10. Huy says:

Christian Bale only!

• work4change says:

omfg change.org lol now we know the fix in. Ben will kill batman for a generation.

pick anyone from SCFI over Ben. he has failed everytime. he only awards came from the same people that give awards to movies that no one watches most of them dont even make a profit.

Ben will set WB back millions and comic film for years. frankly if WB does this, they deserve the fallout.

FYI for each petition to keep ben there are 5 to remove him………

11. Lisa says:

What?? Talk about one dimensional you have just described afflecks entire acting career…sorry but his role in argo was not very dimensional! John Travolta is dimentional…Robin Williams, Al Pacino, Heath Ledger, Christian Bale…you aren’t seriously suggesting that Affleck is up to that level? Movies are meant to entertain the people so yes it f@%%&ing matters if you lose even one fan! These movies have a fan base and it is important to appeal and to respect the opinions of your fan base. I’ve seen other films flop and fizzle due to bad casting and that is a hige shame especially if you have any idea how much hard work goes into writing and producing those films. It is very important if Affleck isn’t the right fit for this film simply for the fact that the fans were there before Affleck and fans are what make those people money. So saying the opinion of a fan doesn’t matter is ignorant.

12. Tom Benjamin says:

They should put Jensen Ackles If you watched Supernatural then you would know he carries a lot of hurt and can make his voice deeper plus hes a badass

13. Kiki says:

Egads! What next?? Matt Damon as Thor? Anyone remember a flop titled Daredevil?? Ben has no where near the charisma, acting ability, nor believability to play a superhero. Why ruin the sequel to either franchise with such a poor premise…Batman vs Superman???? Why???? Let Henry Cavill shine in the next Superman sequel. On his own.

14. ChristinaLovesSuperman says:

People WORLWIDE have SPOKEN! 50,000 signed PETITIONS in 1 day! NO Ben BATMAN!
    Point 1: STOP COMPARING Aflac to other actors who can act–Keaton, Ledger(rip), etc.
    Point 2: Those actors didn’t have the HUGE FAME NEGATIVE BAGGAGE Aflac has (horrific Gigli, Daredevil, Bad taste in women JLo ghetto, gambling and arrogant persona, etc. etc.)!

• Wade Wilson says:

This has the reek of a post from an angry fifteen-year old nerd who has no life nor anything better to do…and it’s sad. I’m looking forward to his portrayal. If you don’t want to watch the movie with him as Bruce/Bats, then don’t @#$%ing watch it.
      No one @#$%ing cares what you do or don’t do.

15. Julian says:

Simply put, Ben Affleck doesn’t have what it takes to be a new aged Dark knight, he can’t portray the demons batman carries nor the intensity and darkness that surrounds him inside and out. His baby face doesn’t have the miles of what a seasoned crime fighter would carry and for a new age super hero, that has to have brains and brawn, well his body structure won’t allow that necessary size even with help of Sports enhancement Pharma. Josh Brolin however, would have been the best pick, if you had watched “Gangster Squad” and various other movies, you have a perfect example of the effect he would bring not only as Batman but also as Bruce Wayne. He has everything you need for an older, grittier caped crusader. Please Affleck step down and stick to romantic comedies, that at least make it to the loony bin at wal-mart.

• Anna says:

Hugh Jackman! Give us someone sizzling hot! lol

• Wade Wilson says:

You are aware that Christian Bale was 120 lbs coming off the Machinist to do Begins, don’t you? Your argument seems very long-armed, and Brolin’s been very one-dimensional in everything I’ve seen him in. He’s one of the most overrated and over-used actors these days, and I’m not at all pleased he’s playing Dwight in Sin City 2, but I’m not going to whine about it like it matter or anyone cares, because I’m smart enough know how futile that would be.

• Gabriel says:

Pull your effin’ head in, mate. The guy’s ripped as, you haven’t seen any of his movies, clearly, which doesn’t give you the right to criticize his performance. He does have, indeed, all it takes to play Batman role. Baby face? I see you’re spitting way too much garbage at once.

The trailer hasn’t even been released yet. Why don’t you wait until he puts on the mask? Then we’ll talk.

The same bull*hit happened stirred up when Heath Ledger was scaled to play The Joker in ‘The Dark Knight’.

16. Tim says:

Will “the real” Batman please stand up? Please, Christian, reconsider your choice.

17. hernson says:

Look forward to this movie? In the words of the immortal Lloyd Bridges…. It looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

18. This will be a massive mistake for Ben. He’s at the top with Argo currently but will be right down again if he actually agrees to play Batman. He’s good, but he just doesn’t have the batman look.

19. mark says:

bale is so much better and far better!!

20. Wow! I think Ben will be an excellent Batman. Leave the casting of the actors up to the studio bigwigs and don.t go see the movie. I will go twice, once to cover you not attending and one for my admiration for Ben.

• “Leave the casting to the studio bigwigs”. Just because they are studio bigwigs doesn’t mean they’ll get it right. If a mass amount of potential paying customers are telling you this is a bad idea, it might be a wise idea to listen to them.

21. Georgina says:

Give him credits for god sake! The producers have made up their mind and chosen Ben so be it. IF you don’t like him then don’t see the movie. It is that simple. Ben was fine in DD and he is a decent actor overall. Perhaps now he got the part he would go to the gym and bump more iron! At 6’3″ he would look great both in a tux or the bat suit. Can’t wait.

• Wade Wilson says:

Precisely. No one cares is they don’t watch the movie. They’re just some bored whiney kids, otherwise they would realize how @#$%ing pointless their b1tch1ing is…because no one gives a @#$%.

22. Stacey Sayward says:

I think Affleck would be fine, but I think he would be perfect as JAMES BOND (with that cleft chin!!!!!).

Let’s get creative:
    Josh Brolin Jensen Ackles, Chris Evans, Channing Tatum,Jesse Bradford, Josh Duhamel, James Roday, Ryan Kwanten, Christopher Masterson…

23. jackal says:

we have allready when he try to acting martial art role as daredevil and it was really bad

24. Ben Affleck is an excellent choice for the new Batman. He has the style and charm to portray Bruce Wayne and an inner strength that will make him one of the best Batmans yet! I look forward to this movie release and those who doubted him, having to eat their “figurative” hats! Ben you awed me with Argo and I cant wait to be be bewitched by Batman.

25. davcamp2 says:

This person nailled my opinion: http://ynit.me/13Oood0. Essentially it’s not the worst casting. Nobody wanted Ledger as Joker, remember? He’s been on a tear lately. We could have had Orlando Bloom!

26. BenAff says:

Wow – Nolan were incredible writers and made the Dark Knight Movies. They made it so incredible it was able to overshadow the fact that Christian Bale’s mediocre acting! Christian Bale acting is ok, at best.

Remember when Heath was cast as the Joker and everyone was discussing on how horrible the movie would be and how they weren’t going to see it? He turned out to be so amazing, he made the doubter eat their words.

Well have to wait and see, what Ben can do. Once everyone says (if he is) “Ben gave an amazing performance as the Dark Knight” all you negative people who cast stones without thinking – would RUN or walk to the movies to “see for yourself”

27. The Biggest Batman Fan says:

I am like the biggest Batman fan and I think Christian Bale is the BEST for the Batman role nobody else:)He was amazing in the Dark Knight trilogy and he should do another one:):)

28. john Peterson says:

You people are unbelievable!Many slated the choice of Christopher Nolan as director of the Batman(he wasn’t considered an “action” director either)nor was Christian Bale widely accepted at first.Saying you won’t go to see the movie for the reasons you give are childish.Also this is NOT the fourth installment of Nolans Batman for gods sake.Don’t see the movie.It just shows how narrow minded you are.Oh and Daredevil has nothing to do with this

• Dave says:

With ticket prices the way they are I don’t blame them for not wanting to see the movie. Ben absolutely makes a bad Batman.

29. maggie says:

I’d rather see Danny Devito play the role! Ben A is the worst choice! I love Batman but I will not see this movie.

30. Doug H says:

Should cast Matthew Settle as Batman

31. http://artofexistence.webs.com/apps/blog/
    check out for another perspective of the casting and the upcoming movie as whole

32. Shawn Earle says:

this is an atrocity! Really kinda sucks because i liked man of Steel, but i will not watch this new film with Affleck playing Batman! The only thing worse would be casting Reatardo Dicaprio!

33. AJ says:

The only way this is going to be good, is if he writes it himself and it’s set in Boston.

34. Mark R says:

I thought from what I’d read a month or 2 ago that Josh Brolin was considered the frontrunner?

He’s a very good actor, not an overexposed mega-celebrity like Aflac, and Brolin definitely has the acting chops & overall look to be the perfect Bruce Wayne/Batman. Got a granite chin and would fill the Batman suit great. He’d make one badass Batman!

35. cayo says:

Sorry but noooooo Ben as Batman no way just cant belive this Injustice!!!!!!

36. Ravis says:

The Dark Knight has become the Douche Knight. At least if they are fighting each other we can see Ben finally get his ass kicked.

37. josh says:

Worst decision since they made dragonball evolution please any actor just not affleck he ruined daredevil he will ruin batman

38. Lonnie says:

What is next Justin Bieber as Robin!

• Mark R says:

Re: “What’s next? Justin Bieber as Robin?”

Hey, don’t give them any ideas!!!

Anyway, with Aflac on board, I know I won’t be seeing that movie now. They should’ve picked Josh Brolin(No Country For Old Men, Men In Black 3, etc)for the part. He would’ve been perfect as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Especially if the studio says they want a Batman who’s a little bit older & more experienced then Cavill’s Superman.

Brolin would be perfect! He looks the part and is a good actor.

39. I hate Affleck says:

I guess everyone forgot how bad he was as the Dare Devil too.

40. I hate Affleck says:

Ben Gigli Affleck. Really. Count me out as well

41. Norm Crowson says:

Channing Tatum could be the best Batman ever!

42. hernson says:

Once again the Batman / Superman movie franchises have been flushed down the toilet.

43. Rick G. says:

What a tragedy. I never post any online comments about entertainment, but really. The possibility for a quality 4th installment in the Christopher Nolan “Batman” series has been flushed down the toilet. The Nolan interpretation of the “Batman” story was the first to make this a believable, nearly real-world adventure. The writing, acting and directing combined to turn out a wildly successful series of films because the vision was maintained with integrity throughout the 3 films. The possibilities of the expansion of the story with Robin plus the introduction of carefully crafted new villains could have been very successful. The series was successful because that writing, acting and directing appeared seamless and the audience became comfortable with the characters. So, let’s throw that all away and try something totally different. And of all people to choose to portray Batman…Ben Affleck? An Oscar for one thing does not make a person suited for every possible role. But, that’s Hollywood. I suppose these studio execs think that one successful thing can just be thrown in with another successful thing and plug in any successful actor and you’ll get a wildly successful product. I know, let’s do “Iron Man Saves The Titanic” with Will Ferrell as Iron Man. I had high hopes that Nolan would return with a 4th Batman movie, even bigger and better than the previous 3, with all the fantastic actors each reprising their roles, with a true quality story in keeping with the vision of the previous 3. I had high hopes that any 4th movie would not be tainted with an unbelievable plot, or some campy/cartoon-like characters, or some whimsical approach to the here-to-fore very serious story lines. But seriously, Ben Affleck? Certain fantasy worlds should not mix with others and I just don’t see the Superman world in any way fitting with the Batman world, but that’s just me. Really, Ben Affleck? I agree with many others, the latest and most successful Batman series was that of Nolan and Bale plus the excellent story/screenplay by Goyer/C&J Nolan. Christian Bale IS Batman. What a tragedy.

• stan lee says:

i wish people would stop jizzing over nolan’s films! with the exception of heath ledger’s joker they are dull, over faux intellectualised farces – they are not realistic at all, they just trade comic cliche’s and flaws for film ones. if u don’t like comics, don’t do a comic book character movie, just make boring and super stupid drivel like inception. hard to believe this is the talent that gave us memento. and bale… i really wanted to like him as was a big fan before but his bruce as patrick bat(e)man and stupid voice left me cold. michael keaton is the only actor to have given him an understated torment and pathos.

• Kiki says:

Perfectly said! Made me laugh with the Titanic, Iron Man reference….so true….

44. Mappy67 says:

OMG say it isn’t so. Affleck sucks!!!!

45. Sealy says:

And fix that sun headline : ” Ben Affleck is Batman”. No. Ben Affleck may attempt to play Batman but he will never BE Batman.
    I’m so disgusted I may just break down and write Warner Bros. They hooks make Christian Bale and offer he can’t refuse. Ugh ugh ugh.

• Sealy says:

So mad I can’t type. ” They should make Christian Bale and offer he can’t refuse” as in head of the studio. Controlling stock. Whatever it takes. Angry and sad.
      :( Next time I’ll proofread before sending. But hey, I didn’t make the your – you’re mistake. ;)

46. Paul says:

Bale was offered 50 million to play batman again and he turned it down.

47. Adam Booth says:

OMFG! They’ve just gone from one of the best ever actors to play Batman; Christian Bale, to one of the worst actors in the business. It’s like having Superman played by Nick Cage or some one, which I thought I heard a little while back , before Brandon Routh’s stint in the role. Way to dump the caped crusader in the dirt! It would be better having Adam West back in the cape.

48. Sealy says:

Major disappointment. Afflec is fine for some roles but Batman is not that role. WB should have stuck with Christian Bale. He IS Batman. I sure won’t be paying money to see this new movie.
    What’s this ” needs an extraordinary actor” junk?!?! They had an extraordinary actor in the last trilogy. Very sad day for this Batman fan. :(