Ben Affleck Is the New Batman

Batman-Superman feature to hit theaters July 17, 2015

Ben Affleck is Batman.

The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Batman-Superman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.

Batman Backlash: Ben Affleck Has Nothing on Michael Keaton

Directed by “Man of Steel” filmmaker Zack Snyder, the Batman-Superman feature will open worldwide on July 17, 2015, with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Diane Lane reprising their roles.

“Man of Steel,” released this past June, has earned over $650 million at the global box office.

PHOTOS: Actors Who Have Played Batman

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” Snyder said in a statement. “I can’t wait to work with him.”

The announcement of a Batman-Superman film was revealed last month at Comic-Con to much excitement of fanboys, who will surely be watching as the studio begins to assemble its Justice League.

SEE ALSO: Superman and Batman to Team Up in Movie

The irony of Thursday’s news is that at one point Warner Bros. was interested in having Affleck direct the “Justice League” movie and his participation in this film will now spur interest if whether his casting means a possibility of directing that film.

The Boston native recently upped his Hollywood power when he won the Best Picture Oscar for “Argo.”

Affleck, repped by WME, can be seen next in Fox and New Regency’s thriller “Runner Runner.”

1. What’s up mates, how is the whole thing, and what you desire to
    say about this article, in my view its genuinely awesome for me.

2. I don’t know what people are all getting bent out of shape about Ben Affleck playing Batman. “Oh he ruined Dare Devil!” B.S.!! He had nothing to do with the infamous flop. To Ben Affleck I’m speaking to you buddy. As one new Englander to another. You are a tough guy. Use that anger to your advantage. I wish you the best of luck and break a leg!

3. zhubinz says:

Ben Affleck is a bit too much on the softer and nicer side to be the modern Batman. The edginess popularized by Christian Bale could be sort of replicated with Ryan Gosling if he was made to look older and acted more maturely.

4. Jess says:

I thought that he played a great dare devil. He has had super hero acting experience. Also he has made a great name for himself in the last 10 years. I think he’s very talented. Give him a chance! He will turn it around for sure?

5. Patty says:

hell yeah! I didn’t go to see the new Amazing Spiderman b/c of who they picked to play Spiderman and I was right to not go b/c he is awful. I’d never done anything like that before. I love my superhero movies. This Affleck thing totally sucks…I’ll wait until it’s $1 at the redbox and watch it on a boring Tuesday night or something…but I’ll have to be pretty bored…and there would have to be pretty slim pickings at the redbox.

6. ken says:

What a terrible choice. I understand actors get stuck with bad scripts such as daredevil but the guy has nothing to add to a batman character. At no time have I ever seen him in a movie and felt any type of intensity. I don’t think hey I wanna see where this goes. I’d rather see him as the shark from jaws.

7. Jay says:

Sometimes when things are working, it’s better left alone… Another corporate entity with no good sense of direction.

8. Nigel says:

He’s a decent actor but he’s not Batman!

9. frank says:

Christian bale should be batman, he have perfect figure to play as role of batman

10. ka! says:

!m srry, but he barely passed as daredv!l !f tht. we need christian bck or maybe evn ol michael keaton. there int any1 else.

11. Anna Rowe says:

I someone else who’s has more expense in Hollywood.The is my favorite superhero sense I was a kid over 50 years.I love batman so does my grandson.Batman is 70 years I think. So good luck to everyone who sees it.

12. Dan says:

He was great in daredevil, looked good in the fighting sequences. and other movies doing martial arts.

13. Hypnotiqleigh says:

I think Christian bale is by far the best batman!!!

14. Derrick Peek says:

Ben Affleck played Dare Devil come on he did his superhero movie I would like to see Chris Klein as the new Batman because of the role he played in Roller Ball and I think he would be a great Bruce Wayne or just give the new actors a chance.

15. Ben smackfleck says:

Please please some one plead with the producers of the new batman/superman movie not to let Ben afleck take the role of batman. What a joke, the batman franchise will be ruined with him at the helm, he cannot successfully become batman after Christian bales awesome performance.

16. Penjani Nyirenda says:

Batman-superman will be the best movie ever.Can’t wait to see the combination of ben and henry.

17. abdurrahman says:

Wow! Ben Affleck is a very good choice. I respect his action movie d Daredevil, but hey guys this Batman director can give-us d best from Ben. So I have no doubt that Ben Affleck can Nail this 1 also even far more than DD…

• Marcuc Wilkerson says:

You know nothing. Daredevil is one of the worst comic book movies ever made and Affhack is a bigger douche than the entire Jersey Shore cast.

18. Anna says:

I’m sorry but Affleck just doesn’t do it for me. He’s a “Guy Smiley” that you like but don’t necessarily want to sleep with. It has nothing to do with his acting ability. Give us someone hot. lol

19. em says:

ben affleck has a completely blank face in films( including argo) which gives him a dumb look.. this is a travesty!! wish he had stuck to directing..cant bear to see his wooden acting ruin the batman role… obviously hes well connected in d industry and has got this role thro contacts like his talentless ex gwyneth paltrow.. wb plz come to ur senses..plzzzzz

20. Smithy says:

Ben is a bad choice. Even though he’s not a bad actor he just doesnt suit the character. We seen him in daredevil and he sucked in that movie. Some actors just don’t play good superheros in movies,

21. Chris Kent says:

Don’t get it wrong affleck isn’t a bad actor and I think he could possibly pull it off, but theres so many people who could do it better. I really don’t want to watch daredevil again in a different suit. Gosling would have been a better choice!

22. Nathaniel Hammel says:

What a terrible thing to do to batman! eeeerrggg!

23. SeriouslyPOd says:

Thanks a lot Aflack! You just scared off Hans Zimmer to score the Man of Steel sequel. He feels Batman is being smuggled back into the fold.

24. Phil says:

Just read a petition with 90,143 signatures to remove Ben Affleck as Batman…Yeah, the petition will probably amount to nothing, but for fun lets multiply that number by the average admission price of a ticket to the theatre…Oh, and im number 90,144…

25. Phil says:

Casting Ben is like alienating your actual fan base, Sure… 24% of people think the casting is a great idea and yet those few are Ben fans not Batman fans. Might as well have shoesucker direct it again:D
    looks like the W.B. wants batman to tank and drag superman down with him… I might rent it for a dollar at redbox…but probably not

26. brian says:

wtf ben afflack as bat man he wasnt even good enough for broke back mountain lol look at what he did for dare devil wow that was a bad movie im not saying he cant act but one of the coolest superheros ever he needs to stay with all the girlie stuff hes no batman

27. SeriouslyPOd says:

Newsies. Really! What was he like 12yrs. old.

28. SeriouslyPOd says:

I just hope they get rid of that stupid armor. It’s not in any of the comic books or animation. It’ll make for much better fight scenes. Something which plagued the live action franchise since Tim Burton. Robotic Batman who can’t turn his head.

29. rj says:

Affleck is a poor choice and Cavill ought to tell the producer to stick it rather than waste his success as Superman co-starring in a movie that will obviously flop. Urban would be a much better choice. Affleck is a supporting character at best.

30. Czarrboro says:

Checked a number of these posts and it seems that many are just fans who don’t want Batman ruined. I think a bigger consideration is that Conservatives will not watch movies made by known Progressives. Like it/don’t like it, it is reality. We will no longer put money in these people’s pockets. It’s been going on for some time now; just look at what’s happening to revenues. Don’t know how to fix it. You just get what you asked for. Diss us and we’ll hit you where it hurts (since Progressives have no morals, that means in the paycheck). Good luck, bitches!

31. chad says:

No no no! Affleck wasn’t even on my radar as a replacement. I was pulling for Hamm or Urban, but Affleck has a lot of potential. First, he looks the part. He looks exactly how Bruce Wayne should. Bale never fit the part of Wayne, never had the “careless billionaire playboy” thing down. Secondly, other than a few poor films in which Affleck’s acting wasn’t poor in, he has a stellar history in film. Look at Argo or The Town. And seriously the voice…THE VOICE!!! All these “Pro-Bale” posts and no one seems to remember that horrific marble gargling. Who would have guessed Michael Keaton? And he is the best live action Batman to date. Nobody thought Ledger would cut it but he blew our minds with his Joker. I for one am excited to see what Affleck can give us!

32. Jack Smitty says:

If there is to be another person to be Batman, it should not go to Ben Affleck. I don’t want to take anything away from Ben, but the role of Batman just doesn’t seem to fit him. I think Warner Bros. should think of another actor or if possible, get Kevin Conroy to be the voice of Batman.

33. Chris Nagtegaal says:

I think after the dark knight trilogy and Christopher Nolan having a hand in creating the man of steel, it only be appropriate that Christian Bale reprise his role as batman

34. Heisenberg-Schrodinger says:

Cristian Bale was hands DOWN the best batman; he IS batman. Affleck will disappoint

35. Wes says:

The should give the role to John ham!!!!

36. BatmanFan says:

Christian Bale cannot be replaced… He IS Batman

37. SeriouslyPOd says:

People still bring up the Heath Ledger situation. I thought it was a an OK performance. No where near as good a Joker as Jack Nicholson. Only reason he won the Oscar is because people were emotionally charged from him killing himself! Yeah I went there. Robert Downey Jr. gave a much better performance in Tropic Thunder. I wasn’t even offended as a black man and that’s saying something (see C. Thomas Howell as Soul Man).

38. If he can play Batman like he played his character in The Town, I am all for it. But I have to laugh at all this uproar, because I remember the crap Heath Ledger received when he was cast as The Joker.

39. John says:

I don’t hate Ben Affleck. I liked him movies such as Armageddon and Sum of All Fears where he’s involved in the action but he’s not a hardass…he’s just a guy trying to get things done and kind of a likeable goof ball…not the guy in charge, but the guy who comes up with a few surprises. That’s not Batman. Batman is a boss and knows exactly what he’s all about. He’s a tortured soul that exerts his rage on the bad guys. When I look at Ben Affleck I don’t see rage and focus, I see the happy-go-lucky smirk of a guy who’ll fight crime as long as he doesn’t have a hot date that night. For fck’s sake, Batman is a grown man that goes out at night in tactical gear and cape and goes looking to encounter the scum of society. It takes a disturbed person on one hell of a mission to do that, and Affleck doesn’t exude that sort of self seriousness.

Man of Steel wasn’t perfect but it was a strong start to franchise that has built up a good head of steam. Not many decisions could’ve derailed that momentum, but this is one of those decisions. I’ll pass on this one. Here’s to another 10 years until the debris settles and they have another chance to try and get it right. So sad.

• SeriouslyPOd says:

Oh! So you’re the guy who went 2 see Sum of All Fears. That just strengthen the point of him being a franchise killer (aka Ryan Reynolds).

40. Gris says:

I love Christian Bale, he is an awesome Batman/Wayne! Batman was my favorite superhero thanks to him – so sexy. Now it’s like my big brother playing the role – just dull and blah! Not looking forward to it all – so sad!

• Anna says:

the correct name I have given is “GUY SMILEY”…lol. You like him, but you don’t want to sleep with him or pay $11.95 at the box office.

41. Snowmara says:

I like Ben, he’s extremely talented. I truly hope he surprises us all and blows that shit out of the park. People thought Heath was a terrible choice for Joker when the announcement came out and he showed all of them how very wrong they were.
    That being said, I’m not sure I have faith in him to do the character justice. The role has proven difficult for many very talented actors before him. Though I don’t blame Clooney for the way his Batman turned out. Bale was the only one that nailed it for me. Judging by the reaction of fans, I’m not the only one that might say that. It’s my understanding that Christian Bale has said, even while they were filming the last Batman movie, that it was his last, so, Warner Brothers needed to find a replacement, like it or not. I heard rumblings that Jeffery Dean Morgan was being considered for the part of Batman and in my humble opinion, he would have kicked serious ass.
    I’m not happy about the choice, but Warner Brothers has made it. Ben has had the mantel passed to him. More than any of us, I’m guessing he’s getting a sense right now how much the character means to all of us. He’s a comic fan too. I really don’t think many understand the stamina it takes to be a successful actor in this business, especially with fans breathing down his throat. He has shown himself to be an exceptional talent time and again. He is, in fact, an actor and has shown that he’s a damn fine one many times over.
    The only thing bitching about it is going to do, is make Warner Brothers more adamant about their decision. So I choose to refrain from total judgement. If he sucks ass than I’ll hop on the band wagon to make sure it doesn’t happen again. We have endured much worse through Batman & Robin, to say the least. We survived that. We will weather this storm.
    So Ben, for all our sakes, kick it in the ass!

• Brendon says:

You are absolutely right! I mean look at the crap Affleck has come out with lately…like the Oscar winning films he made. Only a B actor can produce the most award winning films…oh wait a minute. That’s right. You’re an idiot.

42. Christian Bale is the TRUE Batman!!! Ben is NOT Batman material!!!

• Bruce says:

Bale isn’t the “true” batman…he never was. Batman does not growl like an idiot, or whine to Alfred like a baby, or run off and quit, moan about his lost never-was girlfriend, or pass on his cape. Nolan, while being a great director, with the help of Christian Bale, successfully distorted an entire generations understanding of who and what Batman. Go back to the source material and look at it. Kevin Conroy…now there’s a Batman

43. Ian bell says:

ICE BERG RIGHT AHEAD!!!!!

44. Ryan Bates/ Lance Laffoon says:

Ps:
    I (lance Laffoon) am a 15 mma fighter
    And
    I (Ryan bates) am a 14 year old actor and boxer

45. Ryan Bates/ Lance Laffoon says:

As much as I respect Mr. Afflect in show BUSINESS and the successes he has done in the BUSINESS, acting wise though I would not put him in the category with some of the modern generation greats such as Kevin Costner and Robert Di Narro. I DON’T THINK Mr. Affect would make a good batman because for a 1 simple reasons. He has no batman qualities. He’s not intimidating and frankly he can’t kick ass. If I can’t even possible even kind of visualize him in that role at his age and his career I don’t think he’ll do justice to it.
    Who I personally think should play is an uprising star and I think great actor with lots of diversity is JOEL EDGERTON. Not only is he a very talented actor who could bring justice to not alonley the batman side of the role, but also Bruce Wayne.
    AND HE CAN THROW MAD PUNCHES.
    Don’t belive me, watch him in one of my favorite movies The Warrior co-starring Tom Hardy (Bane)
    No to Ben Afllact

• Jose says:

What about Bale? Go watch Newsies and tell me he’s got any kind of edge. He didn’t but people loved him. Give him Affleck a chance!

46. Coral says:

I don’t like Ben Affleck playing the roe of BRUCE WAYNE. He is a great actor but he doesn’t fit to play BATMAN. CHRISTIAN BALE he was born to be BATMAN!

47. Mike Parks says:

Ben Affleck playing the role of Bruce Wayne? Sure – it’ll just be a more arrogant, entitled version of Bruce wayne than in the past, but whatever.

But Affleck as the Dark Knight? You’ve got to be kidding me – are they going to have Robert Pattinson as Superman then? Perhaps Jack Black could play supes. I mean, since we obviously don’t give a s#** about trying to cast believable roles,

Maybe the producers don’t grasp the concept of Wayne and Bats being (gasp) the same person. I hope someone fills them in before they doom this movie.

48. MB says:

People need to stop..Ben Affleck will make a great Batman….no one thought Heath Ledger would make a great Joker–and he won an OSCAR!!!! Just shut up and give him a chance!!