Average Movie Ticket Price Is Highest Ever

Man of Steel 3D

Movie tickets in the second quarter of 2013 hit the highest price ever, at $8.38 per ticket, according to the National Association of Theater Owners. The average ticket was priced 3.2% higher than in the same quarter last year.

Though interest in 3D films has declined over the past year in North America, filmgoers choosing higher-priced premium tickets including Imax and other large formats for popular tentpoles pushed the average up. “Iron Man 3” and “Man of Steel” were among the seven films that made more than $100 million at the domestic box office in the second quarter of the year, as opposed to just three in the same period last year.

With an average of $7.94 in the first quarter, the combined average ticket price for the first half of the year was $8.16.

The average ticket price is calculated by combining normal-priced, 3D and large format tickets, with more of the premium-priced tickets sold in the pre-summer and summer tentpole season.

1. TVDude says:

Wow, that almost matches my personal record. The purchases of movie tickets at my house is at an all time low. We are seeing less movies in theaters than ever before. I used to see two or three a month, I’ve been to the theaters once in the last year.

Seriously, why pay the price to see a movie as it is to buy it. A larger screen + great sound – the cost and a screaming baby behind you = a worse overall experience. I would rather deal with the smaller screen, not as great sound, and enjoy the same film as many times as I would like from my home where no screaming baby or talking teens will take away from my enjoyment of the movie.

2. Dave Warner says:

Head on over to Australia, average ticket prices are highest in the world with some cinemas charging about $20 per “normal” seat (that’s about $US18 – some Gold Class seats (recliner seats) are over $AU40 per ticket!

3. harry georgatos says:

I’m from Sydney Australia and I pay on average for a standard screen $20 a ticket. For a large VMAX 3D screen I’m looking at $28. For an IMAX screen I’m looking at $31. America has it better then anyone else due to the size of it’s population.

4. Brad says:

The first time I paid 10 dollars for a movie ticket was Tim Burton’s Batman, in 1989. Now, 24 years later, it’s still 10 bucks. Given the rate of inflation, I would think that should be much higher.

5. John Sullivan says:

I don’t mind spending $9.00 or more to watch a movie that cost 100 million or more to make. A lot of cheap skates out there. Go ahead and watch it on your tiny computer screens.

6. Rain says:

Wow… That is a cheap price compared to the $12.83 I paid for one movie ticket where I am. And that’s the normal rate for a non-3d movie.

7. Stephan Klose says:

Everything is cheaper in the US. In Austria/Europe a ticket in the middle of the theater (prices are structured. Cheaper in the front, getting more expensive to the back) is about $15 for a non 3D movie.

8. Peter says:

I paid $20 to see a 3D film in Australia this week, average price for non 3D is $16-$18. With a popcorn and drink it was $28.50 for 1 ticket and a snack. Wonder why Austalia leads the world in torrent downloads?

9. borg9er says:

This is non-analysis. Average ticket price will almost be “the highest it’s ever been” because of inflation. Show me a graph adjusted for inflation and maybe I’ll gasp.

P.S. – The price of cream cheese is the highest it’s ever been!