Karlovy Vary Film Fest hosts sidebar featuring diverse mix of up-and-comers
The Karlovy Vary Film Festival will host a cross section of Europe’s most promising new storytellers via its 10 Euro Directors to Watch sidebar, which spans multiple countries and includes four up-and-coming female helmers.
Now in its 16th year, the cross-cultural lineup was selected by Variety film critics and programmed in collaboration with European Film Promotion, part of the EU’s Media Program, to identify promising directors early in their careers.
Though new to the craft, several of the helmers have already been honored with multiple awards and were chosen according to the popular appeal of their features.
This year’s selection encompasses:
- Emil Christov, “The Color of the Chameleon” (Bulgaria)
- Nana Ekvtimishvili & Simon Gross, “In Bloom” (Georgia/Germany)
- Elisa Fuksas, “Nina” (Italy)
- Gabriela Pichler, “Eat Sleep Die” (Sweden)
- Elina Psykou, “The Eternal Return of Antonis Paraskevas” (Greece)
- Mika Ronkainen, “Finnish Blood, Swedish Heart” (Finland)
- Wojtek Smarzowski, “Traffic Department” (Poland)
- Michiel ten Horn, “The Deflowering of Eva Van End” (The Netherlands)
- Roar Uthaug, “Escape” (Norway)
- Felix van Groeningen, “The Broken Circle Breakdown” (Belgium) (pictured above)
Originally known under the Variety Critics’ Choice banner, the program is the brainchild of executive editor Steven Gaydos, who said, “If you aren’t aware of how much interest Hollywood has in European directing, you haven’t been reading Variety! Our pages are filled throughout the year with stories about filmmakers such as Nicolas Winding Refn, Louis Leterrier, Sam Mendes and countless other European helmers whom the studios have entrusted with their most precious projects — which means, simply, that our 10 Euro Directors to Watch lineup is one of the most anticipated and widely read sections that Variety produces.”