Dermot Mulroney Wants to do a Sequel to ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’

Julia Roberts with her "August: Osage
Kevin Winter/Getty Images

All they need now is Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz and Rupert Everett

Julia Roberts and Dermot Mulroney, stars of “My Best Friends Wedding,” reunite this month on the big screen in the Weinstein Co.’s “August: Osage County.” But fans of their first pairing might have a reason to spontaneously break out into song (like their old characters did over lunch), because Mulroney says there’s still a chance there could be a sequel to the 1997 romantic comedy.

“I think everybody wants it,” Mulroney told Variety in New York last week. “I want it! Julia and I talked about it recently, and she thought it would be an amazing idea.”

“My Best Friends Wedding,” distributed by Sony Pictures, grossed $300 million worldwide, created the template for the modern-day gay best friend (see Rupert Everett’s George Downes) and reignited Roberts’ box office reign in the late ’90s (with the help of “Notting Hill” and “Runaway Bride”). In 2001, producer Jerry Zucker said a second film, tentatively titled “My Best Friend’s Divorce,” was unlikely. But that hasn’t stopped speculation about such a project, with Entertainment Weekly and Film School Rejects both endorsing the idea.

Mulroney said a possible premise for a sequel would have his character Michael still married to Kimmy (Cameron Diaz) when Julianne (Roberts) resurfaces to snatch him back. “Wouldn’t that be the fun thing to see?” he asked. “I don’t know. You tell me. Whatever it is, as far as I’m concerned, it’s been in development for 16 years.”

1. Debbie Suttle says:

I think in the sequel Julianne needs to be in a serious relationship when a just divorced Michael seeks her out…..

2. cathy says:

ya would love a sequel….they are always good in movies

3. grace says:

I think a good idea would be for Julie to be getting married and Michael coming back into the picture wanting Julie cause Kimmy cheated and now Julie has to choose

4. MY ESTFRIENDSWEDDING says:

I honestly wanted a sequel. I was dying for a part two, but i just realized how i loved the ending. I guess we dont have any rights to ruin it ahaha. It was perfect. Happy endings doesnt always mean to end up with someone you love. You see even though She didnt end up with Michael, it was a perfect happy ending still. Come to think of it. Thanks, this movie made me cry a river. Ahaha, i sooo love it.

5. james bilton says:

It has to be done, its now or never, the time is totally right to make a hit comeback. Its exactly what everyone wants! the first film was just pure genius, but a second would just be as genius as the first. Then we can see Julianne somehow get Michael back in her arms.

Im not into sequels but this film most defiantly needs it!!

6. Bobo Brazil says:

Naturally he wants to do a sequel; he hasn’t had a relevant acting gig since the first one. Roberts hasn’t made a film that hasn’t sucked for at least a decade and a half, so they’d be a fitting on screen match, albeit a rather desperate one.

7. Brad says:

NO. The first movie was perfect with its bittersweet ending – an ending most movies, especially rom-coms, don’t have the guts to do. The girl doesn’t always get the guy, and vice versa. Don’t ruin it!

8. i would love for them to make a second movie and julia finally ends up with him