– The Cinema Audio Society will pay tribute to Stefan Kudelski, inventor of the first
portable professional recorder (the renowned “Nagra”), 49th Annual CAS Awards will be held Feb. 16 at the Millennium Biltmore. Kudelski, who won four Oscars and two Emmys, died Jan. 26. He's pictured above with Maggie Smith and Maureen Stapleton.
“The Nagra recorder was the mainstay of
production recording for over 50 years and revolutionized both production and
post-production workflows,” said Cinema Audio Society prexy David E. Fluhr,
“and the worldwide sound community mourns the passing of Stefan Kudelski. It is
fitting that as we award the latest in Technical Achievement for production and
post-production sound, we pause and remember this pioneer of the sound
– Two nights before the DGA Awards, Directors Guild of America prexy Taylor Hackford told Dave McNary of Variety that he won't seek a third term atop the guild.
– "Lincoln" helmer Steven
Spielberg will receive the American Cinema
Eddie Filmmaker of the Year Award at the ACE Eddie Awards on Feb. 16 at the Beverly Hilton.
– Look out in 2013 for "The Sapphires," which won 11 awards at the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts
awards in Sydney, including picture, director (Wayne Blair), lead
actor and actress (Chris O'Dowd, Deborah Mailman), supporting actress
(Jessica Mauboy) and best adapted screenplay (Tony Briggs, Keith
– Lead actor Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper will join former Rhode
Island Rep. Patrick Kennedy on Friday for a press conference at the
Center for American Progress to discuss how "Silver Linings Playbook" is making
progress toward removing the stigma of mental illness.
– With three days remaining in Oscar voting, on Feb. 16, supporting actor nominee Christoph Waltz will host "Saturday Night Live."
– Wednesday marked the beginning of the pre-nomination voting phase for the 40th annual Daytime Emmy Awards. This phase determines the 10 performers who move to the blue-ribbon judging round in the lead and supporting acting categories. Results of this phase, as well as the entrants in the young actor and actress races, will be announced Feb. 27.
– The Writers Guild of America East has tapped screenwriter and director
David Koepp to receive the Ian McClellan Hunter Award for career
– Tessa Ross, controller of film and drama at the U.K.'s Channel 4,
will receive the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award at the BAFTA film awards Feb. 10.
– AMPAS and MOMA will
present "Oscar's Docs, 1955–2002: American Stories" from Saturday through Feb. 14 at MoMA in New York City. Details here.