YouTube Music Awards Nominees Announced

katy perry roar

Live kudocast Nov. 3 will feature performances by Eminem, Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, Avicii, M.I.A. and others

YouTube is letting music-video fans pick the winners of the first YouTube Music Awards, announcing a slate of nominees that includes Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, One Direction, Rihanna and Taylor Swift — plus several popular homegrown musical acts.

The kudocast will stream live from New York City on Sunday, Nov. 3. The Google-owned site is emulating the MTV Video Music Awards to lure users to its vast trove of music videos, which includes those provided through Vevo.

YouTube is aiming to jack up traffic through the voting process on social media: Users can vote at youtube.com/musicawards (or searching for “YTMA” on YouTube) by sharing the official YouTube Music Awards nomination videos across Facebook, Twitter or Google+. YouTube determined the nominations based on data over the last 12 months, to represent the artists and videos with the highest levels of engagement, including views, likes, shares, comments and subscriptions.

The NYC awards show will feature live performances by Lady Gaga, Eminem and Arcade Fire, along with YouTube musical acts Lindsey Stirling and CDZA, as previously announced. In addition, YouTube has lined up five other acts: Avicii, M.I.A., Earl Sweatshirt, Tyler the Creator and Walk Off the Earth.

The YouTube Music Awards nominees span six categories: Video of the Year, Artist of the Year, Response of the Year, YouTube Phenomenon, YouTube Breakthrough and Innovation of the Year.

The nominees in each category are:

• Video of the Year – videos with most fan engagement: Miley Cyrus, “We Can’t Stop”; Justin Bieber (feat. Nicki Minaj), “Beauty and a Beat”; Lady Gaga, “Applause”; One Direction, “Best Song Ever”; PSY, “Gentleman”; Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Mary Lambert) “Same Love”; Girls’ Generation “I Got A Boy”; Demi Lovato, “Heart Attack”; Selena Gomez, “Come & Get It”; Epic Rap Battles Of History, “Barack Obama vs Mitt Romney.”
  • Artist of the Year – most watched, shared, liked, and subscribed-to artists: Eminem, Epic Rap Battles of History, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Nicki Minaj, One Direction, PSY, Rihanna, Taylor Swift
  • Response of the Year – best fan remix, parody or response video: Boyce Avenue (feat. Fifth Harmony) “Mirrors”; Jayesslee, “Gangnam Style”; Lindsey Stirling and Pentatonix, “Radioactive”; ThePianoGuys, “Titanium/Pavane”; Walk Off the Earth (feat. KRNFX), “I Knew You Were Trouble”
  • YouTube Phenomenon – songs that generated the most fan videos: “Diamonds,” “Gangnam Style,” “Harlem Shake,” “I Knew You Were Trouble,” “Thrift Shop”
  • YouTube Breakthrough – artists with biggest growth in views and subscribers: Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Naughty Boy, Passenger, Rudimental
  • Innovation of the Year – creative video innovations with most views, likes, shares and comments: Anamanaguchi, “Endless Fantasy”; Atoms For Peace, “Ingenue”; Bat For Lashes, “Lilies”; DeStorm, “See Me Standing”; Toro Y Moi, “Say That”

Prior to the awards show, to be held at New York City’s Pier 36, YouTube will stream five music events live from Seoul, Tokyo, Moscow, London and Rio starting at 5 a.m. Eastern on Nov. 3.

The YouTube Music Awards (dubbed “YTMA” for short by the site) will be hosted by actor-musician Jason Schwartzman with comedian-musician Reggie Watts. Show will be directed by filmmaker Spike Jonze, with exec producers Vice Media and Sunset Lane Entertainment. Kia Motors is the premier sponsor of the event.

A YouTube rep the attendees to the awards show in New York and events in other locations will comprise YouTube fans, creators and invited guests, with additional details to be announced.

SEE ALSO: Lady Gaga, Eminem and Arcade Fire to Headline First YouTube Music Awards

1. Nataly says:

YES!!! Girls Generation won the YTMA video of the year!!! Congrats to the girls!! Sones forever!! <3 Tiffany you look beautiful in the dress supporting your bandmates!! :)

2. Cassandra Bean says:

OMG!!!!! I hope One Direction wins both best video and artist of the year. They are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you Harry!!!!!!!!!! <3

3. Riku says:

I hope Girls’ Generation win video of the year they really deserve it :)

4. Estefeni says:

I want Justin Bieber to win this music award because I’m a big fan of JB I love his whole music 😍😀❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤ I love u Justin Bieber Beveile tour

5. When Macklemon and Ryan Lewis, De Storm, Girls Generation, One Direction, Pentatonix and Pay will be the winners and faces, meaning might be due to most likes and of course, most shares. If not for all, chanced to be announced.

6. girls generation i got a boy !!!!

7. Julianne says:

VOTE JUSTIN !!!😘

8. SHINeee says:

I hope SNSD win saranghae unnies

9. Ryan Higa? What about him?

10. What about Frank Ocean?? The Weeknd?? J Cole?!?!?! The real artists??

11. SabrinaB says:

whats the point for the youtube awards if their just going to award the people already famous. we should be giving the awards to real youtubers

12. Phorosrhakos says:

The only channel on the list who are actually youtubers are the ERB people…

13. Dronneth Shard says:

I feel disgusted.

Half the nominees here are just the same old millionaires with their Vevo channels. Few of them are actual artists who grew up in YouTube itself, earning a fanbase for themselves through their hard work. I’m not saying that the major music artists have not put in any effort or anything. What I want to say is this: This could have finally been an opportunity for the thousands of amazing artists who use YouTube as the basis of their career to get some recognition in the mainstream spotlight. Instead, it’s a list of a-list millionaires with a major record deal and VEVO channel as a secondary outlet for their glossy MTV videos, with ERB thrown in as a token DIY artist. Why do we need to be told yet again how amazing Rihanna is?

I mean seriously? What happens to all the people who put in so much effort and time outside their daily lives into these kinds of things? All that happens to them for now, is that they’ll just end up squashed under the feet of all those celebrity musicians, who would most probably just go, “Oh, another award. Never heard of this one, but who cares…”. Even if they do care, it would not matter. It would mean very little to them, as compared to what it would mean to a musician who grew up through YouTube.

I just wish YouTube can get back to being its old self, and respond to their users again.

• shootingscar says:

I offer my loudest applause to this comment.
      What has YouTube become?

• MoreCrap says:

This is how I felt at first and still mostly do. But everything comes down to money. What kind of buzz and revenue could Youtube have generated if the YOUTUBE MUSIC AWARDS awarded Youtube musicians? I think they kind of needed to make it more like the VMAs in order to make the effort worthwhile for them.

Maybe it will at least bring more attention to the lesser known artists we care about.

• fuckpopmusic says:

could not agree more

14. Areya says:

OMG OMG OMG it’s girls generation !!!!!! Hope my nine angels will win

SNSD fighting!!!!

15. Hyunji says:

Girls Generation!!!!

Yeah they must win

16. The Candy Element says:

I hope Epic Rap Battles of History win an award, they deserve it!!

17. Dj Aria says:

Not voting for JB aka request hip hop song at club..
    If he didn’t win maybe he gonna beat youtube

18. Kpopguy says:

Aww, why PSY is there and not 2NE1?
    Disgraceful.

19. Let’s Go! Girls’ Generation fighting! Sones please vote!

20. Atsuko says:

Yay for Girls Generation!!!!!!!! So happy about that! K-Pop is a nominee yay!

21. Yukino says:

HOLY SH*T, GIRLS GENERATION?!?!?! Yay k-pop is being recognized! FINALLY!!!!! *squeals and flails*

22. j says:

Its really cool that they’re “steaming” video live these days. I was just getting used to live streaming. #typo

23. shootingscar says:

I wish the ‘YouTube’ Music Awards are for people who actually started their singing career or anything musical on YT. Not those people that are already famous.

But oh well, big stars are performing.

• JS says:

Shootingscar so do I! I was really excited when I heard about it but but then I saw that it was mostly big stars instead of actual YouTube musician but I’m glad the Lindsey Sterling, ThePianoGuys, and Boyce Avenue are in it.

24. filmtoppings says:

How can I vote for the Music Video Awards? BTW, go Epic Rap Battles of History!

More Digital News from Variety