Union Dispute Halts Production of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

Union Dispute Halts Production of 'All

Prospect Park blames dispute with IATSE for early summer hiatus, as studio says it 'cannot afford traditional broadcast rates'

Prospect Park said it will shut down production of its two soap operas, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” for a summer hiatus 11 days earlier than it anticipated, with the studio blaming a dispute with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees over wages.

“We believe we have met all contract requirements with IATSE, and as an Internet startup, and per our contract with the IA, we cannot afford, and our business model cannot sustain, traditional broadcast rates,” Prospect Park said in a statement.

IATSE did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Prospect Park, which resurrected the soaps as Internet-only properties after ABC canceled them in 2011, has run into union problems before. Late last year, the studio reached agreements with SAG-AFTRA, DGA and WGA that allowed it to commence production.

The new episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” premiered on Hulu, iTunes and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork.com on April 29. Two and a half weeks later, however, the company announced it was cutting the release schedule to two episodes per week for each  show, down from four — a decision that angered many fans.

Studio bosses claimed viewers were having trouble keeping up with the previous rate, expressing concern that the sudsers would lose audience. With the slower pace, Prospect Park is hoping to drive up views (and advertising revenue) per episode. The shows are free to watch on Hulu and TheOnlineNetwork.com; ad-free episodes are 99 cents through iTunes.

Now, according to the company, because of the IATSE issue, “All My Children” and “One Life To Live” will cease production at its Stamford, Conn., facility on June 6 instead of June 17. Shooting is scheduled to resume Aug. 12 pending resolution of the labor issue, the studio said.

“Right now we have 40 episodes of each show ready to post through September, and if we can resolve this issue by August, we can get back into the studio on time so audiences will enjoy uninterrupted postings of their favorite shows,” Prospect Park said.

Prospect Park said the shows’ writers, directors, actors and rest of crew “have been supportive of the shows and our success… We are committed to these shows, and to the nearly 300 jobs they produce, thus we are exploring every legal and logistical option to maintain our production schedule.”

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 6

Leave a Reply

6 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Cindy Hatcher says:

    Does this dispute effect any other shows?

  2. Frank W says:

    I know when they do their job correctly, the unions are necessary. But sometimes now in the internet age, you have to cut costs reasonably, but if there is no income, then these shows and the jobs they create will disappear again, but this time forever.

  3. kayleen says:

    There are too many talk, news and reality shows. I wish the American people would understand that reality shows are just a way for networks to provide cheap entertainment if you could call it that. Concerning news and talk they are wag the dog shows meant to get Americans going on the political road of their choice…my mother watches Fox news all day long, talk about haters. I wish our govt would put all that energy into making things better for all of us. Fox news is a modern day Salem witch hunt 24 hours a day. The rest of us need a way to escape the bullshit and soaps are one of the best ways to do it.

  4. Oh, I am so sad there are problems ongoing with AMC and OLTL. I have been watching these two shows since the 70’s and have loved them from the beginning. The new online shows are so current and fun. I love the quick pace of the story lines. The new characters seem to have transitioned well into the scene and I love seeing some of the old characters back again. I am so looking forward to see who else comes back, but, even while waiting, I love the whole format of the shows now. It doesn’t matter to me if they are online or on TV. As long as I can see them everyday, I will be happy. It was sad to have the shows cut from 4 to 2. However, it makes me more interested in watching so, maybe the amount of shows will increase again with our commitment to watching regularly. I really hope the disputes get resolved. It would be a sad sad day if these two shows were cancelled. Come on all you fans, rally together and keep watching. Maybe you’ll get the story lines you want to see and the old characters back again if we all commit to watching regularly!!

  5. theoriginalholly says:

    Here’s hoping the views continue their upward trajectory so that all the employees/actors/writers/crew who are making these shows so good can get paid well. Both of these shows are a thousand times better than they were during the last decade (at least) that they were on broadcast tv. PP/TOLN so far have been able to resolve disputes and work with unions, so hopefully this will be no different.

  6. wepere says:

    this is terrible, why can’t the network get rid of all those judges shows and that food show . we also have too many news show airing, cut out some of these and bring our shows back to mainstream channels as before.

More Digital News from Variety

Loading