Sony Says PlayStation 4 Hardware Problems Are ‘Isolated Incidents’

Sony PS 4

Company also says PlayStation Network was experiencing very high volume Friday, causing connection difficulties

Sony Computer Entertainment America’s North American launch of the PlayStation 4 videogame console Friday came amid reports of some units malfunctioning, but the company said it believed the issues were “isolated incidents” affecting a very small number of systems.

In a statement, Sony said the number of affected systems represents less than 0.4% of shipped units to date, “which is within our expectations for a new product introduction.”

Company added that “the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.”

Several sites including IGN, Kotaku and Forbes reported that early-access PS4 systems had faulty HDMI video-output ports. According to Kotaku, a Sony employee fixed the problem by bending a piece of metal on the system’s HDMI port, which had prevented the HDMI cable from connecting correctly.

SEE ALSO: Sony Is Keeping PlayStation’s Internet TV Options Open

Meanwhile, Sony said the PlayStation Network was experienced “very high volume” early Friday, resulting in difficulties connecting:

The PlayStation 4, listed at $399, launches with 23 game titles — including Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, and Resogun — and 11 third-party digital entertainment apps, including Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu Plus, Vudu and Sony Crackle. PS4 also includes integrated access to Sony’s Music Unlimited subscription service and Video Unlimited store.

The system will square off against Microsoft’s Xbox One, priced $100 higher at $499 list, which launches on Nov. 22.

1. This is why you wait for them to get out the bugs :D after they fix the PS4, I’ll get the system one day. I expected some sort of issue to arise early (not this early from Sony, but I guess they had to make the mistakes too eh?)

2. Dan M says:

Todd, i agree completely. No DNLA, CD or mp3 or Blu Ray 3d play back. And honestly the graphics just aren’t that great. Not the huge jump from say a SNES to N64 or PS2 to PS3. I too have buyers remorse. Anyone want to buy a PS4 that has only been used for a day and a half? Seriously, for all the bad press MS got, i think sony will more than make up for after launch.

3. Todd Oswalt says:

I am a big PS fan but I have to say that I am very disappointed in this PS4 console. Crashing problems with games and it is not what it was promoted to be. I see this as an over rated lightly enhanced PS3. I should have saved my money. Sony you may have lost a lifetime customer. Not that you would care. If I were anyone looking to buy a PS4, I would not encourage it. Right now, I would tell you that you are crazy. I really can not vent here the way that I truly feel about this console….so I will let you read between the lines.

4. The PS4 at my local Best Buy was caught in a weird loop where it would not let you go back into the game that was loaded, but gave the option of pressing the PS button in order to bring you back to the menu. But when you pressed the PS button, it brought you to a blue screen with the PS button on the top right. Then you could only hit the back button, sending back to the original screen-to-nowhere. I was like, “Yea I think I’ll get the XB1.” No one at Best Buy could make it work.

5. Nasir says:

it appears to be a huge improvement over the previous generations,
    but we have already concluded some other Best Reasons for buying the Xbox One instead of a PS4

• Coody says:

And what would they be? Higher priced? lower specced? Only capable of 720p on FAR too many top game franchises like COD, Battlefield and Titanfall? No new features other than TV stuff nobody wants? Far inferior 1st party exclusives compared to Sonys?

Im at a loss to try and figure out these ‘Best reasons’ WE have already concluded on like you say.

Do you know in Amazon.com top 100 Gaming best sellers of ALL of 2013 that the Xbox One is BARELY in the top 50? Whereas the PS4 is at number 3 yes THREE. And that is in Microsofts back yard.

Playstation already dominates everywhere else.

• Mike Shearer says:

Far better Online service, it can also do more than just play games. Guess what PS4 shipped with games lower than 1080p resolution while xbox is matching them with 1080p in other titles. As far as first party goes thats totally opinon based. Infamous and killzone sell FAR LESS than Halo. Titanfall has been praised as the best next gen game by numerous gaming outlets.

• Nathan says:

Here’s the thing Coody, when you look at game-play videos where they do side by side views also showing fps (frames per second), the PS4 shows more frame-rate drop then the Xbox One. With the Playstation 4, you can’t use external memory usage, no CD use (in case you like syncing songs and other things). Now people are complaining about paying for PS+.
        Xbox One will have external memory, and you may use CD’s for music.
        Both consoles have great home menu’s and you can download and play at the same time and have automatic updates while playing your games.
        But with Xbox One you can do a multi-task with apps and use voice command anytime.
        PS4 voice command limits to what games to play and turn off console.

• Deej says:

Coody, who really cares? The consumers (players) are the only ones who should care. Just because someone likes a different product than you, doesn’t mean you criticize them for getting that product instead of the one that you like. The higher price is obviously due to the new Kinect module that comes with the system. Though I mostly play FPS’s, my daughter will love playing with the Kinect. With the original Kinect, she enjoyed seeing herself on the tv as a gray-scale humanoid shape moving around! Not sure what you mean by ‘lower specced’ but I’ll assume you mean lower spec speed? Which is true, but by a margin. If you really care about specs, PC is the way to go. Only capable of 720p? The majority of gamers out there don’t even notice the difference between the two due to screen size. Reviews of both consoles have already stated multiple times that the difference visually between both consoles is miniscule at best. The TV stuff nobody wants is, what I believe, Microsoft’s step to branch out. I know my family will probably enjoy all the stuff especially my wife, who is a stay at home wife. And finally the games. You are not someone to deligate which games are inferior and which ones are “off the chain, baby!”. That is the job, of again, the consumer. The player. The gamer. Now you may call me one sided due to the fact that I am purchasing an Xbox One (current owner of PS3 and 360), but after hearing everything that the Playstation fanbase had to say about Microsoft and Xbox as a whole I was dissapointed. I was an avid player of the Killzone series from the first game (though no one else appearantly liked it) and to hear the douchebaggery from everyone was just disgusting.

Also, as far as the sales go, I’m confused as to what you are trying to get at with that. The fact that Playstation dominated everywhere? Okay. That’s nice. What of it?

What is the point of your statement “Playstation already dominates everywhere else”, if not to rile up some unintelligible troll seeking PS4 fans.

#Y0LO $W@G