‘One Life to Live’ Put on Hold Pending Producer’s Lawsuit Against ABC

'One Life Live' Put on Hold

Prospect Park suspends plans for 'OLTL' amid $25 million breach-of-contract suit against Alphabet net

“One Life to Live,” the soap reborn as an Internet series earlier this year, may not have any lives left.

Production company Prospect Park, which acquired the rights to “OLTL” and “All My Children” from ABC, has put plans for the next season of “One Life to Live” on hold pending the resolution of its breach-of-contract lawsuit against the Alphabet net, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

ABC and Prospect Park reps declined to comment.

SEE ALSO: Inside the Online Revival of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

The ambitious, star-crossed efforts of Prospect Park to bring the soaps back as Internet serials — which preemed April 26 — has hit numerous snags, including labor disputes and challenges in getting financing.

In addition, Prospect Park sued ABC in April, alleging the Alphabet net killed off two “One Life to Live” characters and effectively killed off a third character to sabotage the online resurrection of the show. ABC called the suit, which seeks $25 million in damages, “baseless” and said it remained “very supportive of the online launch of both ‘One Life to Live’ and ‘All My Children.'”

Under the agreement between ABC and Prospect Park, the three “OLTL” characters were on loan to ABC’s “General Hospital.” Prospect Park claims ABC failed to consult with the studio on “GH” storylines involving them, which included characters Cole and Hope Thornhart dying when their car was forced off a cliff. Now, Prospect Park has shelved plans for resuming shooting on the show until the suit is resolved.

Less than a month after the debut of “AMC” and “OLTL” this spring, Prospect Park upset diehard fans by announcing it would reduce the sked for both shows from four eps weekly to two. The company said it made the change after viewers said they were having trouble keeping up with the faster pace.

Prospect Park aired the final ep of “OLTL” on Aug. 19, while the last episode of “All My Children” went up Sept. 2. Shows are available free on Hulu and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork website, and may be purchased on Apple’s iTunes.

The production company has not announced when the next run of “AMC” will return but has said production sked for that show has not changed.

SEE ALSO: ABC Calls Online Soaps Lawsuit ‘Baseless’

1. Evie Harris says:

I was very upset when GH killed off Starr’s loved ones. I think ABC had no right to do that.

What I do not undersand is why is Roger Howarth still able to play both roles on GH and OLTL? Starr & John are still on GH, but playing different roles.
    I was a long time fan of OLTL, and was very upset when it went off the air.

2. Miles BEEN WACHIN SINCE 2 YRS OLD says:

Please just give us back our shows. Stop messing around and continue the series. And besides Todd knows about Cole and Hope so does Blair. PP messed up with that one. Where Starr at?

3. tammy long says:

just give us back our show! ABC you should have never took them off stop trying to change us !!!!!!

4. Fox says:

Why should a pending lawsuit have anything to do with continued production? .. Well, unless the show ain’t making a profit, and they’re lookin’ for the (possible) settlement cash to keep things goin’. But that’s no way to produce a show. What happens if they lose the case? It doesn’t sound like a slam dunk. And even if they get something, how does that increase viewers for the next season when they need money again? You’re either profitable on your own, or you’re not.

5. lynn vogel says:

Please stop jerking us around! Get our soap back on the air, this is a soap, people come back all of the time. One life to live just needs some adjustments to get it back to where it was. ABC will still never get me back as a viewer,as I know there are many more people who feel like me!

6. I love both AMC and OLTL and was very glad when they came back but I thought OLTL was much better than AMC. I am very sad to hear that we have lost it again. It had great story lines and I liked the fact that it was much more real life since being on the internet! I am very disappointed!

7. KyL says:

Prospect shouldn’t be in the Soap business if they can’t find a way around something like characters dying and think keeping up with 4 episodes a week of a 30 minute show was too much for their audience when they had no problem keeping up with hour long episodes 5 days a week for decades. The two characters died in an explosion, any soap writer with a clue could use the ensuing chaos as an excuse. Or build on the storyline towards the end of All My Children and have a crossover where David Hayward resurrected a bunch of dead peop…oh wait you had to set All My Children into the future and SORAS everyone to the point where JR and Dixie are only 7 years apart. As for Alcazar/Tomas that storyline was never resolved along with other things that were left open ended as a result of the abrupt exit of all those characters

More Digital News from Variety