'One Life Live' Put on Hold

Prospect Park suspends plans for 'OLTL' amid $25 million breach-of-contract suit against Alphabet net

“One Life to Live,” the soap reborn as an Internet series earlier this year, may not have any lives left.

Production company Prospect Park, which acquired the rights to “OLTL” and “All My Children” from ABC, has put plans for the next season of “One Life to Live” on hold pending the resolution of its breach-of-contract lawsuit against the Alphabet net, as first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

ABC and Prospect Park reps declined to comment.

SEE ALSO: Inside the Online Revival of ‘All My Children,’ ‘One Life to Live’

The ambitious, star-crossed efforts of Prospect Park to bring the soaps back as Internet serials — which preemed April 26 — has hit numerous snags, including labor disputes and challenges in getting financing.

In addition, Prospect Park sued ABC in April, alleging the Alphabet net killed off two “One Life to Live” characters and effectively killed off a third character to sabotage the online resurrection of the show. ABC called the suit, which seeks $25 million in damages, “baseless” and said it remained “very supportive of the online launch of both ‘One Life to Live’ and ‘All My Children.’”

Under the agreement between ABC and Prospect Park, the three “OLTL” characters were on loan to ABC’s “General Hospital.” Prospect Park claims ABC failed to consult with the studio on “GH” storylines involving them, which included characters Cole and Hope Thornhart dying when their car was forced off a cliff. Now, Prospect Park has shelved plans for resuming shooting on the show until the suit is resolved.

Less than a month after the debut of “AMC” and “OLTL” this spring, Prospect Park upset diehard fans by announcing it would reduce the sked for both shows from four eps weekly to two. The company said it made the change after viewers said they were having trouble keeping up with the faster pace.

Prospect Park aired the final ep of “OLTL” on Aug. 19, while the last episode of “All My Children” went up Sept. 2. Shows are available free on Hulu and Prospect Park’s TheOnlineNetwork website, and may be purchased on Apple’s iTunes.

The production company has not announced when the next run of “AMC” will return but has said production sked for that show has not changed.

SEE ALSO: ABC Calls Online Soaps Lawsuit ‘Baseless’

Filed Under:

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
Comments 7