Has Justine Sacco Been Fired Yet? Barry Diller’s IAC Isn’t Saying

Has Justine Sacco Been Fired Yet?

PR exec's racist tweet outrages Internet

IAC, the Internet media company run by Barry Diller, removed the name and contact info for communications director Justine Sacco after her racially charged tweet about AIDS and Africa spawned a massive wave of outrage on Twitter. But the company has not confirmed whether she has been fired for the offending tweet. [UPDATE: The company said Saturday afternoon that it has “parted ways” with her.]

On Friday, a tweet posted to Sacco’s account said, “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” The tweet and then the account, @JustineSacco, were deleted around midnight Eastern on Friday.

In a statement Friday afternoon, the company said: “This is an outrageous, offensive comment that does not reflect the views and values of IAC. Unfortunately, the employee in question is unreachable on an international flight, but this is a very serious matter and we are taking appropriate action.”

The tweet stirred a major Twitter response and the hashtag “#HasJustineLandedYet” — a reference to Sacco evidently being incommunicado while on a flight to South Africa — was one of the top-trending terms Friday night.

Sacco’s father is a wealthy South African businessman.

Several fake “Justine Sacco” Twitter handles sprang up Friday including a parody account, @LOLJustineSacco. Though an account called @JustineSacco6 claimed to be the flack admitting she had been fired, it was not her, and her employment status remains unconfirmed.

Amid the twitterspheric disturbance, a second meme emerged: Twitter users began urging others to donate to AIDS charities and other aid groups. Thesp Kerry Washington, of ABC’s “Scandal,” retweeted a post noting that a website at justinesacco.com had been set up to solicit donations to an African relief org:

New York-based IAC owns more than 150 Internet brands, including Ask.com, About.com, The Daily Beast, Match.com, HomeAdvisor and Vimeo. The company also is an investor in Aereo, the TV-streaming startup being sued by broadcasters.

1. Barry Diller is gay says:

She does not deserve to be fired, fuck what people say! Racism is real and In South Africa I’m sorry but most whites are racist, they call them darkies. Barry Diller is a borderline pedophile.

2. jack says:

Haha, theres someone that just wants to get fired.

3. Sara says:

There is a new terminology all over the internet to describe this behavior. It’s call “Hipster Racism”. Please google it and you will find out the explanation. Sacco is part of a group of hipsters who make fun or a mockery of racism, sexism, gays and many animal right activists. You can often see their posts on FB or twitter but usually they are not famous like her. They hide their racism, sexism or hate toward animal right activists behind, “I am just joking”. Very typical. In fact this is a new form of racism. Please, when you see those posts let them know how inappropriate they are.

4. dave says:

Gimme a break. People need to start saying “Yeah, I made a joke. If you can’t take it, ++*k off. I’m not apologizing for anything”. Everywhere, jokes are made; South Park destroys everyone, comedians stand in front of millions of people with race and religion jokes. If I was her, I’d say “I felt like crackin’ a joke. I really couldn’t care less if you like it or not”.

• Sara says:

Why won’t you google the term, “Hipster Racism” because in their world everything is a joke but it hides thiry true feeling. Making jokes has been a more acceptable way to express what they really think but not anymore! They are getting busted!

5. Jason Tame says:

She shouldn’t get fired. This has been a lesson for us all and an extremely entertaining one. I doubt she will make the same mistake again and may hopefully think a little deeper about her flippant attitudes and values. Maybe not, but whatever – it’s been a ride xox

6. Stan Collins says:

I don’t think she should be fired at all. The fact that her father is a billionaire means that she probably won’t.

• Jaime Sefton says:

Public flogging sounds good.

• Kelly says:

you all are ignorant people! You know if it was anything that pertained to your persona, you would make a HUGE hissy fit. Grow up and realize there is no place for stupid people like this. They know people are going to see their dumb remarks, so its their dumb fault if they get in trouble. If she were a black woman and said, “Going to America, hope I don’t come back as a dumb blonde with my head up my ass…No I’m black,” everyone white as can be would find a reason to tear her apart. Racism, is such a thing of the past, when it still out there like that, I just shake my head at the parents and the person they molded. Must be embarrassing to be a donor to that kind of people.

• Jeff Riggs says:

She was exercising her right to free speech. You’re the one who needs to be flogged.

More Digital News from Variety