You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Disney Sets China Digital Joint Venture with Shanghai Media Group

Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China.

Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled Wednesday.

Details on the venture were sparse in the announcement, billed as an effort by both companies “to place viewers at the forefront of China’s fast-changing digital landscape.” BesTV is active in mobile TV and online streaming, among other areas.

“Technology and innovation are key pillars of Disney’s strategic vision,” said Stanley Cheung, exec VP and managing director, Walt Disney Company, Greater China. “The China digital landscape and industry is expanding and changing exponentially. This joint venture with BesTV and seeks to serve Chinese consumers who are increasingly connected to their viewing experiences across multiple platforms.”

“BesTV has formed the largest new media platforms in China, including IPTV, smart phones, mobile TV and online streaming. Coupled with Disney’s long standing commitment to digital innovation across multiple platforms, both companies share a common vision to provide an enhanced viewing experience for Chinese audiences and consumers, and  explore new business models for digital distributors,” said BesTV president Tao Mingcheng.

More Digital

  • homepod-white-shelf

    Apple Started Working on HomePod in 2012, Was Blindsided by Amazon Echo (Report)

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • Amazon Echo Show, Black, Kitchen Counter

    Amazon's Echo Show Regains YouTube Access, Also Gets Vimeo and Dailymotion Videos

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • HQ Trivia App

    HQ Trivia: How the Buzzy Live Quiz-Show App Plans to Make Money

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • Game of Thrones Season 7

    U.S. Officials Charge Iranian Hacker With HBO Server Attack, $6 Million Extortion Scheme

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • Judah Smith

    Amazon Pilots Talk Show With Judah Smith of City Church in Beverly Hills (EXCLUSIVE)

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • League of Legends Championship Series North

    Ten Franchise Teams for 'League of Legends' North American eSports League Unveiled

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

  • mozilla social vr

    Mozilla Lays Out Plans for Web-Based Social Virtual Reality

    Disney has pacted with Shanghai Media Group’s BestTV digital subsidiary for a joint venture that will focus on technologies and platforms designed to expand the Mouse’s products and content in mainland China. Shanghai Media’s BesTV New Media Co. will own 51% of the venture, with Disney’s TWDC Shanghai Enterprises owning the remaining 49%. Deal was unveiled […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content