CBS Renews Amazon Deal for ‘Under the Dome’ Season 2

Under the Dome

Amazon will bring CBS’ summertime hit “Under the Dome” back for season 2, under a renewal that keeps the Internet company the exclusive online subscription-video distributor for the show.

Drama from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television, based on Stephen King’s bestselling novel, will return to the Eye for its second season in the summer 2014, as previously announced. Amazon’s Prime Instant Video service will offer the episodes four days after broadcast, as under their previous pact.

SEE ALSO: Did CBS Blackout on Time Warner Cable Boost Piracy of ‘Under the Dome’?

For CBS, the Amazon deal along with international pacts made “Under the Dome” profitable from the get-go, CEO Leslie Moonves said, speaking Wednesday at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications and Entertainment conference. “We basically were in profit regardless of what the network rating was,” he said. “Then when the network rating went through the roof — and it’s the highest-rated drama in the summer since 1991 — that became gravy.”

Internet-streaming rights were a bone of contention in the recent feud between CBS and Time Warner Cable, which led to a monthlong blackout of the Eye for the cable operator’s customers in New York, L.A. Dallas and smaller markets. TW Cable wanted rights to stream shows like “Under the Dome” to subs online, while CBS refused to budge to preserve its ability to make lucrative subscription VOD deals.

“Under the Dome” premiered on CBS in June with the 13th and final ep to air Monday, Sept. 16. The show has been the most-watched series of the summer across broadcast and cable with 14.85 million viewers, and is also the top broadcast series for adults 18-49 (3.9/11) and adults 25-54 (5.2/13).

Amazon Prime Instant Video, positioned as a rival to Netflix, is available to members of the e-commerce giant’s Prime free-shipping program. Eps of “Under the Dome” season 2 also will be available for purchase and download exclusively at Amazon Instant Video.

On Amazon, the first ep of “Under the Dome” was the most-watched TV premiere to date on Prime Instant Video and has been viewed more than any other series this summer.

“Under the Dome” is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television. Skein’s exec producers are Spielberg, Stephen King, Brian K. Vaughan, Neal Baer, Stacey Snider, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank and Jack Bender.

Separately, Amblin Television and CBS Television Studios are producing 13-episode futuristic drama thriller “Extant,” also set to air in summer 2014.

1. I’m glad this wasn’t the end, but I DON”T want to wait till next summer to watch what happens next! I might not live that long! ;*(

2. Jimmy Moore says:

Are you kidding me? This should have been a one summer show and I should be watching the final episode tonight. What happens next season? The dome turns upside down, fills with water, and everyone has to swim for their lives? BS!

3. Kathy says:

Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, amazing blog!

4. Patrick says:

Why are they waiting a year? By then no one will watch it

5. June T says:

Summer 2014….we are gonna forget the entire thing by then. Bsd move cbs, bad move.

6. Monica Helsper says:

The book is totally different from the show, so if you think reading it will put closure to the show, think again!

7. Ronnie Schulze Jr says:

what are you people bitching about have you not watched Weeds, Breaking Bad or anythingor  that was on cable TV not network this is new for them just be patient and wait till the summer of 2014 or don’t be lazy get the book and read it or listen to it.cable stations been doing this for a while get used to it it’s all about the money….

8. I am really glad this program will be coming back next year.
    The Season Finale was great.

9. Robert says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

10. Tianna says:

Very disappointed, by the way!

11. Jessica Major says:

The book and epidsodes are very different. Im almost done the book. And im hooked to the book and the season episodes and so stoked on season 2!! Wished it was sooner then summer 2014

12. Tianna says:

Yes I was looking forward to a ending. Ya’ll know what ya’ll doing. I’ll have to get the book as well. Next summer is too long.

13. Ed Mungle says:

The series ended tonight as far as I am concerned.

14. Don says:

This sucks!!! we have watched this miniseries from the beginning and we expected an ENDING!! A second series??? Why not end the FIRST series satisfactorily??!! I’ll just go buy the book – to hell with you guys…..

15. Arthur says:

We join the thousands who won’t be bamboozled into the next Summer 2014 series. This was supposed to be a mini- series that was to “end” tonight. So disappointing and fraudulent! They took a good thing and screwed it up by not delivering on the promise to end the show tonight. Shame on those in charge

16. larry says:

will not be caught up in another show like this i am mad. same thing with the vikings.

17. Believe me you do not want to read the book. It is over 1,000 pages, excessively wordy and does not go by what was on TV. Usually I prefer the book version but not this time. I had been under the misunderstand that it was a summer mini series and was shocked tonight to discover that is is now a series and I will have to wait to see the rest. The fall, winter, and spring will seem like forever.

18. Kathy says:

My husband and I were very disappointed with the ending of The Dome tonight. It was advertised as the final episode of the show and we expected some sort of closure.

19. MR says:

Just watched the show and it did not have an ending…..rip off we have to wait until the summer of 2014…to see the ending rip off, bad idea, or was this a way to sell the book?

20. Jojo says:

By next summer are they out of their mind!!! I won’t wait, I will buy the book and skip the network.

21. Deb says:

CBS has just found one more way to rip off viewers by making them pay for the online viewing! They are about the least consumer-friendly network out there. FAIL!

22. dietra says:

I like the show but wanted a ending .some things are not realizing to me….some characters need to get better.

23. Marlene nelson says:

based on the ridiculous way the plot is going, there won’t be a season 3.

24. Scott Walker says:

This is kinda dumb. One of the main reasons i was watching under the dome is because it was going to be a mini series.

• Ritab says:

I thought it would end with this season also and truly resent any shows that I have to wait 9 months before the delivery of the next episode. True Blood is another example and I just won’t ever pay for HBO to watch OLD movies and wait 9 months for episodes of a show to watch. Totally ridiculous!!

More Digital News from Variety