Prospect Park seeks $25 mil damages from Alphabet net in dispute over dead ‘One Life to Live’ characters
ABC responded to the lawsuit filed last week by studio Prospect Park seeking $25 million in damages — which alleged Alphabet net maliciously killed three “One Life to Live” characters to sabotage its online resurrection of the show — terming the legal action “baseless.”
Prospect Park’s new incarnations of “OLTL” as well as “All My Children” are skedded to premiere April 29 on Hulu, iTunes and company’s own TheOnlineNetwork.com. Studio cut deal for worldwide rights to both soaps with ABC, after net canceled them in 2011.
Prospect Park now claims ABC violatedthe contract by killing two characters, Cole and Hope Thornhart, who die after their car was forced off a cliff on “GH.” In addition, ABC “effectively killed” a third “OLTL” character, Thomas Delgado, by revealing on “GH” that his actual identity is Lorenzo Alcazar, according to the Prospect Park suit.
“ABC remains very supportive of the online launch of both ‘One Life to Live’ and ‘All My Children,’” the network said in a statement. “With respect to Prospect Park’s lawsuit, we believe the claims are baseless and we will defend them vigorously in court and not the press.”
Prospect Park, in its complaint, said it is paying ABC up to $4 million for the first season alone for the rights to “OLTL.” The lawsuit was filed April 18 in Superior Court of the State of California in L.A.