Coroner: Cory Monteith Died of ‘Drug Toxicity’ From Heroin, Champagne

Cory Monteith Autopsy

Cory Monteith was shooting heroin and bingeing on champagne the night of his death, according to the final coroner’s report.

The “Glee” actor was  found dead at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in July.

According to the coroner, Monteith’s official cause of death was “mixed drug toxicity, involving intravenous heroin use combined with the ingestion of alcohol.”

Investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia in Monteith’s room, including “a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses.”

The coroner’s report added that the actor “had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs,” suggesting Monteith’s tolerance to heroin may have been lowered following his April stint in rehab for substance abuse.

Monteith, a Vancouver native, recently received a special tribute at the Emmy Awards.

He was 31.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 4

Leave a Reply


Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Nanny Mo says:

    They never think it can happen to them. It’s a shame.

  2. Beverly says:

    If he had been recently in rehab he knew damn well he needed a sponsor to call when he got into town to help him deal with the thoughts and urges which immediately would trigger old behaviors that were destructive. Better yet find a meeting. He also knew he should be alcohol free, not drinking champagne or any other alcohol since doing so lowers impulse control. It appears he followed none of the recommendations he got in rehab. This is a disease and he did not treat it as such and thought he would be ok without following a program. Those urges to use will win every time unless you always stay on guard which is hard to do but absolutely necessary to remain alive. He pushed it to the edge and fell off. He was such a charming, talented guy it is heartbreaking this happened but he never learned he could not rely on just himself. Denial is so powerful.

  3. Glee Fan Aiice says:

    What a role model. He failed everyone who loved him, and even more so himself.

    A cautionary tale, and not one who should have been honored for anything.

    He wasted his life. I hope some of my fellow 20-somethings learn that his story is one to avoid. His life is one to pity, not envy.

More Biz News from Variety