You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Nine Network dodges bankruptcy

Oz network reaches deal with investors

SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy.

Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo and Oaktree, and $1 billion to Goldman Sachs.

The web, sagging in ratings and losing the ad revenue race to its rival, could no longer service debt payments, due in February, so it was a case of strike a debt-for-equity swap or go under.

The parties decided how to carve up the equity behind closed doors but it is believed the hedge funds got 95.5% of Nine with Goldman taking the remaining 4.5%

This gives the web time to regroup before the inevitable sell-off or flotation.

Nine topper David Gyngell was positive after a stressful two days, where he not only saved the network but also took time out for the birth of his first child with wife Leila McKinnon on Wednesday morning.

Gyngell said in a statement,”Nine’s back! And back in a huge way with zero debt, which is the best possible news for our stakeholders, Nines viewers, our clients, our partners and our staff.”

More TV

  • 'Star Trek: Discovery': James Frain on

    'Star Trek: Discovery': James Frain on Sarek's 'Sophie's Choice'

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • Joe Lewis Amazon

    Joe Lewis Exits Amazon Studios; Sharon Tal Yguado Takes Over Scripted Series

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • Stranger Things Season 2

    Halloween Costume Ideas 2017

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • Kelly Clarkson

    TV News Roundup: Kelly Clarkson Joins Season 13 of 'The Voice' as Key Adviser

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • Stranger Things Season 2

    'Stranger Things' Season 2 Reviews: What the Critics Are Saying

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • Before Bieber, 'Daydream Believer' Took the

    Before There Was Bieber, the Monkees' 'Daydream Believer' Took the Teen World by Storm

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

  • ABC Developing Middle Eastern Comedy From

    ABC Developing Middle Eastern Superhero Comedy From Bassem Youssef, Larry Wilmore

    SYDNEY — It’s been a tense week for Australia’s embattled Nine Network, which met with its major investors over the past few days in an effort to stave off bankuptcy. Parent company Nine Entertainment’s once top-rating network, eclipsed by Seven in the past seven years, owes $A2.3 billion ($2.37 billion) to U.S. hedge funds Apollo […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content