Football blowout still cruises Sunday

NBC wins night; ABC's 'Once' up, 'Revenge' down

Football blowout still cruises Sunday

NBC wins night; ABC’s ‘Once’ up, ‘Revenge’ down

Even a lopsided NFL game on NBC’s “Sunday Night Football” steamrolled the competition on Sunday, a night that also saw ABC’s “Once Upon a Time” rebound some but its “Revenge” hit a season low.

Preliminary numbers for football are always subject to upward revision, but the New York Giants’ 38-10 drubbing of the Green Bay Packers averaged a 6.7 rating/16 share in adults 18-49 and 18.5 million viewers overall on NBC’s stations from 8:30 to 11.

In Nielsen’s metered-market overnights, the game did a 13.5 household rating/21 share, which should translate to roughly 20 million viewers in the nationals. It scored a 43.8/61 in Milwaukee and an 18.9/28 in New York.

Elsewhere, ABC’s “America’s Funniest Home Videos” (1.6/4 in 18-49, 6.6 million viewers overall) was steady week to week, and 8 p.m. drama “Once Upon a Time” (3.0/7 in 18-49, 8.8 million viewers overall) built 11% from its season low of two weeks ago. Also back from a week off were “Revenge” (2.2/5 in 18-49, 6.8 million viewers overall) and “666 Park Avenue” (1.2/3 in 18-49, 4.0 million viewers overall), with the former down 12% from two weeks ago for a season low and the latter matching its most recent score.

Fox saw its comedy block improve week to week, thanks primarily to a big lead-in from an NFL overrun. “The Simpsons” (3.3/8 in 18-49, 7.5 million viewers overall) grew a whopping 38%, while “Bob’s Burgers” (2.0/5 in 18-49, 4.7 million viewers overall) was up 11% and “Family Guy” (2.8/6 in 18-49, 5.8 million viewers overall) rose by 8%. A special “The Cleveland Show” at 9:30 p.m. (1.9/4 in 18-49, 4.3 million viewers overall) was up 19% from its regular-slot 7:30 p.m. rating of last week but down a bit from regular slot occupant “American Dad.”

Ratings for CBS are pretty murky due to an NFL overrun of nearly an hour in some markets, including Chicago, Washington D.C. and Atlanta. In the 7 o’clock hour, “60 Minutes” (and some football) registered a 2.2/6 in 18-49 and 12.2 million viewers overall, and “The Amazing Race” (and some “60 Minutes”) did a 2.5/6 in 18-49 and 9.9 million viewers overall. From 9 to 11 p.m., “The Good Wife” (and some “Amazing Race”) pulled a 1.7/4 in 18-49 and 9.5 million viewers overall, and the night wrapped with “The Mentalist” (and some “Good Wife”) netting a 1.8/5 in 18-49 and 10.3 million viewers overall.

Preliminary 18-49 averages for the night: NBC, 5.5/13; Fox, 3.7/9; CBS, 2.1/5; ABC, 2.0/5; Univision, 0.7/2.

In total viewers: NBC, 15.3 million; CBS, 10.5 million; Fox, 9.2 million; ABC, 6.5 million; Univision, 2.0 million.

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More TV News from Variety

Loading