Murdoch taps Ravitz head of staff

Follows Joel Klein to News Corp.from New York City Dept. of Education

News Corp. chairman-CEO Rupert Murdoch has hired a new head of staff: Natalie Ravitz, formerly communications director for the New York City Dept. of Education.

“While I am sad to say goodbye, I am very excited to begin this new challenge with one of the most dynamic companies in the world,” Ravitz said. Her last day at the Dept.t of Education will be Feb. 10.

New York City schools chancellor Dennis Walcott announced the departure. Ravitz joined the department in 2010 under then-chancellor Joel Klein, who now works for Murdoch as well.

Murdoch hired Klein, former of the U.S. Justice Dept.’s antitrust unit under Bill Clinton, and appointed him to News Corp.’s board of directors in 2010. He is leading an internal investigation of the phone-hacking scandal in the conglom’s U.K. newspaper biz.

News Corp. announced earlier this week that chief press spokesperson Teri Everett will be leaving Feb. 10. Julie Henderson in Los Angeles has been promoted to the top job.

1. Pascal LaRue says:

Anyone notice the deepening of the London / UK connection with the hire of Natalie Ravitz? The NFL makes a big deal of continuing the series of games which take place in London, and Ravitz just happens to have studied at the London School of Economics for a semester back in the day! I hope this continues and there’s not long until we see a new team internationally! :)

2. Natalie Ravitz’ hot start at the NFL continues! Now she’s directing traffic and making sure that reporters don’t get ahead of themselves in telling the public who will be doing the Super Bowl halftime show. Reports said Lady Gaga was the one, but Ravitz told Us Weekly that nothing was finalized yet. If the reports were true, that would be quite a show!

3. Mark Laster says:

I wonder what it’s like to work for the NFL. I hear their Park Avenue offices are extremely cool. I’d guess that Roger Goodell is more chilled out than you think as well. Kudos to Natalie Ravitz for landing such a sweet gig!

4. Fab Belson says:

Natalie Ravitz is getting off to a pretty fast start with the whole “Ballers” situation. I know who I’m following for my NFL news from now on – @NFLNatalie :)

5. Gina Gallagher says:

Natalie Ravitz is a top notch hire for the NFL. You can say a lot of things about Roger Goodell, but he seems to be an excellent evaluator of talent. I look forward to seeing a marked improvement in the quality and clarity of communications coming from the league on Ravitz’s watch.

6. Darryl Morse says:

I wonder what issue is going to be the first focus for Ravitz in her new job. The NFL & Roger Goodell certainly have no shortage of troublesome topics. If I was Natalie Ravitz, I’d try to make some progress on player health & safety first, and then move on to things like player discipline which are more easily fixed.

7. Cliff Richards says:

This should be fun to watch, as the NFL has not exactly been the benchmark for communications excellence to this point. Hiring people like Natalie Ravitz can only help. Seems that Lockhart knows Ravitz from their time spent working in politics – Lockhart was Bill Clinton’s press secretary while Ravitz held a similar role for Senator Barbara Boxer.

• Evan Fisher says:

I agree with Cliff. I’m fascinated by the increased movement of communications professionals like Joe Lockhart & Natalie Ravitz from the political realm to the private sector. I wish her luck in her new role – she must be thrilled with this great opportunity.

8. Emma Dee says:

As an update here, Ms. Ravitz left News Corp / 21st Century Fox as of June 2015. She has now joined the expanding staff in the NFL’s communications office as SVP of Communications. According to the article I read, she will be reporting to Chief Communications Officer Joe Lockhart. It will be interesting to see how NFL communications change under Natalie’s watch.