Memento's Mallet-Guy to produce film
ROME — “A Separation” helmer Asghar Farhadi, who on Monday was denied permission by Iranian authorities to celebrate his foreign-language Oscar win in Tehran, will shoot a French-language film in Paris this fall.
Memento Films’ producer Alexandre Mallet-Guy said details of the pic will likely be announced at the Cannes Film Festival in May, when casting is expected to be finalized.
Mallet-Guy said this will not be Farhadi’s previously announced Paris-set love story between an Iranian girl and a North-African boy.
Memento handled international sales on “A Separation” and released it in France.
Plans to fete Farhadi’s Oscar win in Tehran were suddenly cancelled by the authorities, which approve all public events in Iran.
The Center for Directors of Iranian Cinema and the High Council of Producers of Iranian Cinema issued a statement condemning the decision, according to the semi-official ILNA news agency.
Iranian state TV last month trumpeted the country’s first Oscar win as a victory against Israel, which was competing in the foreign film category with Joseph Cedar’s “Footnote,” about a Talmudic scholar.
But Iran’s conservatives are said to be displeased about “A Separation’s” depiction of an Iranian husband and wife disputing whether they should remain in their country.
Farhadi, who returned to Iran at the weekend to a hero’s welcome, was quoted by Iran’s official IRNA agency as saying, “I love my country and I would not change it for anything in the world.”