For the Variety Road to the Emmys: Variety, Music or Comedy section, Steve Heisler talked to Stewart, exec producer Rory Albanese and others about how the show has stayed cutting-edge even with an evolving group of correspondents.
… "When we first started, our correspondents fell into unidimensional
types, with everyone sort of doing the same arch-parody take on the
classic white guy newsman," Stewart says. "As we got more comfortable
with our voice, we've been able to bring in more interesting voices –
that in itself broadened our ability to handle different bits."
"In the old days we had a switchblade. Now we have a Swiss Army Knife." …
Elsewhere in our recent Emmy preview coverage:
– The perennial variety series bridesmaids, sich as "The Colbert Report" and "Real Time with Bill Maher," eye the altar. Highlights of those shows can be found here, while the top moments from the nominated variety specials can be surveyed here.
– An inside look at the Emmy judging panels can be found here.
– Exec producer Don Mischer offers his take on the upcoming Emmycast.
– Some last-minute trivia highlights about this year's Emmys.
– Wondering where all the parties are during Emmy week? Here's your answer.