David S. Cohen covers the Oscar shortlist of 10 finalists for the visual effects honor, noting that "Disney's much-maligned tentpole "John Carter" received some measure of redemption from the Acad" by being included. Cohen was surprised by "Battleship" being snubbed, while Guy Lodge of HitFix.com's In Contention was shocked by the omission of "The Impossible."
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut