It's intrinsic to reality TV's connection to its audience — the fact that once-obscure personalities can become people whose lives viewers are invested in, and that this interest, combined with ambition in the industry, can fuel more onscreen opportunities. Susan Young examines the phenomenon with first-person accounts from Tim Gunn, Melissa Rycroft and more in the lead story for the Variety Road to the Emmys: Reality, Nonfiction and Competition section.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- MLB Network, Secaucus, New Jersey
- Scripps Networks Interactive, New York, New York
- starpower llc, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California