As was the case with the Grammy Awards that in February followed the death of Whitney Houston, another 2012 awards show will take place in the shadow of tragedy.
On the day after a reported murder-suicide at the Beverly Hilton, the Daytime Emmys are scheduled to begin at the hotel tonight at 5 p.m., televised by HLN.
Here's the report from The Associated Press on the deaths:
Two people have been found dead in what investigators believe was a murder-suicide at the Beverly Hilton, just hours before the Daytime Emmy Awards are being held at the posh hotel, police said Saturday.
Police responding to a report of a shooting late Friday found a man and a woman dead from gunshot wounds in a hotel room, Beverly Hills police Lt. Mark Rosen said.
Police described the victims only as "elderly," but would give no other details on the victims or the circumstances of the shooting. The coroner's office picked up the bodies early Saturday. …
* * *
As for the show itself, I'll have live updates tonight as it goes. In the meantime, you can visit our preview coverage, including …
– The state of the ceremony and broadcast, which has a new physical and television home this year.
– The morningo-a-morningo showdown between "Today" and "Good Morning America" for top morning program honors.
– Setting up the final salute to cancelled ABC soaps "All My Children" and "One Life to Live."
– A profile of the Lifetime Achievement honoree, "The View" exec producer Bill Geddie.
– Twelve top Daytime Emmys races to watch.