Variety takes a deep dive into the newly arrived Golden Globes nominations with the following stories:
• John Anderson looks at how cerebral stories were made cinematic.
• Addie Morfoot focuses on the bad guys in suits, like Richard Gere’s “Arbitrage” lead character.
• Anthony Kaufman checks in with Sacha Gervasi on his transition from rock doc “Anvil” to “Hitchcock,” which scored a nomination for Helen Mirren.
• Maggie Smith and Nicole Kidman earn extra attention from Geoff Berkshire by becoming double-nominees at the Globes.
• Berkshire also checks in on the new blood in the Globes’ TV nominations.