Variety puts below-the-line awards in today’s spotlight with the following stories in the visual effects, sound and editing worlds.
• How some editors infuse their work with the protagonist’s point of view.
• How visual effects supervisors thrive on challenges.
• “Ted” and “Life of Pi” offered compelling CG animals.
• Sound mixers sell the realism of unreal worlds, while sound editors hit the road in search of authenticity.
• Radio mics were key for “Les Miserables,” and the film’s editors found challenges in its live singing performances.
• Imax proved a challenge for “The Dark Knight Rises.”
• “The Sessions” director Ben Lewin specifically sought out a woman (Lisa Bromwell) to be his editor because she would ahve “different emotional buttons.”