Paul McCartney alleges 'horrendous violation of privacy'
A number of alleged victims of phone hacking by Blighty’s tabloid press are poised to take legal action against a second U.K. newspaper group, Trinity Mirror, publishers of the Daily Mirror.Until now lawsuits by those who claim their phones were intercepted have all involved the Rupert Murdoch-owned News of the World, which shuttered July 10 after it emerged that the paper had hacked a phone belonging to a murdered schoolgirl. Mark Lewis, a lawyer representing some of those who claim their voice mails were intercepted, said the lawsuits would be filed in “a few weeks.” The identities of Lewis’ clients were not disclosed. Piers Morgan, the former editor of the Mirror who now presents a chat show for CNN, is coming under increased pressure by lawmakers to return to the U.K. and answer allegations about phone hacking. Morgan denies any involvement in intercepting people’s voicemail. It emerged last week that Paul McCartney’s phone may have been hacked by Mirror journalists, following allegations by the ex-Beatle’s former wife, Heather Mills. Mills claimed a senior journalist from Trinity Mirror called her in 2001 and admitted illegally accessing her voicemails. “I am going to talk to the police because apparently I have been hacked. I don’t know much about it because they won’t tell anyone except the person themselves,” McCartney said. “I do think it’s a horrendous violation of privacy. I do think it has been going on for a long time and I do think more people than we know knew about it.” In a statement Trinity Mirror said: “Our position is clear: All our journalists work within the criminal law and the Press Complaints Commission code of conduct.” Meanwhile, News Corp. has confirmed that Elisabeth Murdoch won’t seek election to its board this year. She was expected to join after News Corp. bought her Shine Group TV shingle. The ongoing phone hacking controversy has led to the resignations of two News Corp. executives, the arrest of 11 people, the closure of the 168-year-old newspaper and derailed News Corp.’s $12.8 billion bid to buy the 61% of satcaster BSkyB it doesn’t already own.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!