You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Reliance to buy Turner’s Showbiz

Hindi music channel valued in $3 mil-$5 mil range

MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz.

As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although industry estimates value it in the $3 million to $5 million range.

Showbiz was launched in 2008 and has struggled to make headway in India’s crowded music channel marketplace.

Last year, Reliance launched three English-language channels in partnership with CBS called Big CBS.

Turner’s Hindi-language focus will now solely be on its channel Imagine TV.

More TV

  • TV News Roundup: 'Knightfall' Grows by

    TV News Roundup: 'Knightfall' Premiere Grows by 71 Percent in Delayed Viewing

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • Tax Plan Strikes Fear Among Below

    Hollywood's Below-the-Line Workers Anxious About New Tax Plans

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • Steve Edwards Good Day LA

    Veteran Anchor Steve Edwards Out at 'Good Day L.A.'

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • Rupert Murdoch Bob Iger Disney Fox

    Disney Nearing Finish Line With 21st Century Fox as Comcast Bows Out of Acquisition Hunt

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • RACHEL-BROSNAHAN Variety Facetime Interview

    'Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Star Rachel Brosnahan: 'I Would Be So Traumatized If I Did My Own Standup'

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • Kenya Barris Alec Baldwin

    ABC Gives Straight-to-Series Order to Comedy From Kenya Barris, Alec Baldwin, Julie Bean

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

  • Golden Globe Nominations: Good News and

    Golden Globes Nominations: At Least It Was a Good Year for Strong Female Roles

    MUMBAI — India’s Reliance Broadcast Network is to acquire Turner’s Hindi-language Bollywood music channel Imagine Showbiz. As a first step, Turner has sold its 51% stake in Showbiz to its joint-venture partner Cinestar Advertising, which held the remaining 49%. Cinestar will then sell Showbiz to Reliance. Financial details for the deal were not disclosed, although […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content