Dish Network loses subscribers

Carriage fight with Fox causes drop

A carriage fight with Fox claimed another victim Thursday: Satcaster Dish Network said it lost 156,000 subscribers in the fourth quarter, in large part because customers dropped the service following the blackout of Fox Sports cablers and other Fox-owned outlets in October.

Last week, Cablevision reported that it lost about 35,000 subs in the quarter due to a retrans fight that resulted in a two-week blackout of Fox’s New York stations.

Carriage fights “are not easy on any of us,” said Dish exec veep Tom Cullen. “But we were willing to take the short-term impact” to reach more favorable terms eventually, he said.

The sub losses didn’t seem to hurt Dish’s financials, however. Revenues in the quarter ended Dec. 31 rose 8% to $3.2 billion, and net profits soared 41% to $252 million, the company reported. For the full year, revs were up 8% to $12.6 billion, and profits increased 55% to $985 million. Dish ended the year with 14.1 million subscribers.CEO Charlie Ergen acknowledged that the new $5 across-the-board price increase on Dish packages may be a risk but added that Dish customers will stay be paying as much as 20% less than subscribers to Dish competitors. He said Dish would take a “rifle approach and not a shotgun approach” in trying to lure new subs.

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More TV News from Variety

Loading