Some stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame become afterthoughts, but when it came to sportscaster Vin Scully’s, there was no tolerating a cover-up.
In late May, Roberto Baly of the aptly titled blog Vin Scully Is My Homeboy was taking his brother-in-law on a tour of Hollywood when he looked for Scully’s star and found it had been mostly concealed, apparently for weeks, by a red carpet in front of the Vogue Theater on Hollywood Boulevard.
Baly was told it was a temporary cover-up because of construction — which in ensuing days led to the star being cracked and damaged in several places.
For a living treasure like the eightysomething Scully, the beloved icon in his 62nd season broadcasting Dodger baseball games, such indelicacies could not be suffered.
On June 2, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce issued a statement titled “Attention Vin Scully Fans,” saying that repairs on the star would come, but perhaps not for as long as two years — mainly, it was noted in passing, because there are other stars in worse shape.
“The (Hollywood) Historic Trust raises money for general star repair,” says trust member Jeff Briggs. “It makes numerous repairs throughout the year. Contributions for a specific star repair are welcome and may help expedite the process. All contributions are welcome but are not required to secure repair work.”
Standing by wasn’t an option for such Scully supporters as Glenn Mingay, who initiated a fundraising campaign for the $2,500 needed to get the star repaired immediately.
The Dodgers, who have been enduring a terrible season punctuated by a crisis of ownership, the nightmarish beating of a fan in the Dodger Stadium parking lot on Opening Day and a team struggling to stay out of last place, then stepped up to pay for the repairs themselves.
“When the Dodgers learned of the project,” Dodgers communications veep Josh Rawitch says, “we approached Vin with our plans to pay for it, and he was very grateful because he simply did not want fans to spend their hard-earned money on repairing the star. That said, he is aware of the campaign and extremely humbled and appreciative of the efforts of Glenn and others.”
Mingay says Scully called to thank him. “It was surreal,” Mingay said. “He was so very nice and gracious, He called to say thanks for the website I set up and the effort the fans put in to get his star fixed. I was blown away that he would thank me, as I did all this as a way to thank him. He even went one better and asked that we meet when I come home for my dad’s 75th birthday in the middle of July.” the fan says.
Money Mingay raised for the star will now go to a fund in support of Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan who remains in a coma following the assault against him March 31. As for the other stars in distress, the lesson is clear: Fans are advised to be patient or proactive.