The FBI is investigating allegations that employees of News Corp.’s News of the World sought to hack into the phone records of 9/11 victims, the Associated Press reported on Thursday.
Quoting a law enforcement official, the AP said that the FBI had opened the investigation, although it was unclear whether they were responding to calls from Capitol Hill lawmakers including Rep. Pete King (R-N.Y.) to launch an inquiry.
The Daily Mail, a rival to News of the World, reported earlier this week that a New York police officer had been approached by News of the World journalists for phone information about the 9/11 victims, but he refused the reporters’ payments. The Daily Mail’s account was based on an unnamed source.
A spokeswoman for News Corp. said the company had no comment.
A spokeswoman for the Department of Justice said, “The department does not comment specifically on investigations, though anytime we see evidence of wrongdoing, we take appropriate action.”