UPDATE: Favorite line of the day via email from a showbiz exec: “How can Conan do that to George Lopez….so selfish!!!” Touche.
Five quick thoughts on Conan O’Brien’s move to TBS, and its effect on some other key latenight players:
1. A genuine coup for the cable network, one that puts them on the map in latenight, creating a two-hour block (however incompatible) with O’Brien and George Lopez.
2. A smart move for the O’Brien camp, inasmuch as TBS will instantly make him the most important and widely heralded commodity on the network.
3. Have to wonder if Fox let one slip away. Finding proven latenight talent is a real challenge. It might be a long time before the network can make a move in that daypart again.
4. A small sigh of relief, perhaps, from NBC and CBS, inasmuch as O’Brien in that forum is unlikely to take away a significant chunk of audience from the established network players. Instead, the parties can peacefully coexist. If anything, O’Brien’s main competition will be Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show”/”The Colbert Report” combo and sister Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim franchise, which skew significantly younger.
5. Kind of makes the ending of New York Times writer Bill Carter’s book a little anticlimactic, doncha think?