1) After a slow start to its latest season, "Rescue Me" has kicked it into gear — and I give the lion's share of the credit to Peter Gallagher as the straight-talking priest/confidant for Denis Leary's Tommy Gavin. Their scenes are my favorite on the show this year.
2) "Rubicon" might be the most soft-spoken drama on TV. So far, though, the performances, led by James Badge Dale, Miranda Richardson and Jessica Collins, have given me a reason to want to see what happens next more than the plot has. I still haven't committed to watching the entire series, but something tells me that the big reveal at the end could be about the secret of how paint dries, and I wouldn't be disappointed.
3) I've fallen behind on ABC Family's "Huge" — three episodes banked on the DVR with a fourth hour of backlog coming shortly — but I only hope that Gina Torres' camp director character has cheered up while I've been away. It's been an interesting creative choice, making someone meant to inspire teen campers be so morose.
4) I tend to stay away from reruns of 2009-10 shows, but "Modern Family" repeats have been every bit as good the second time around, if not better. I think this show will do very well when its syndication days come.
5) Ripped through the first six episodes of "Boardwalk Empire" that HBO sent out. It doesn't affect me on an emotional level like my all-time favorite shows, but it is fiercely entertaining TV. Though it's arguably a bit less edgy than "The Sopranos," "Boardwalk" should have no trouble attracting that audience.
6) Don Draper and Michael Scott have this in common: Every few weeks, people will say they can't believe what Don or Michael did — even though it's really no worse than what they've been doing for years.
7) I have so many thoughts about the fall pilots, I don't know where to begin. But I'll say that one of the biggest surprises for me was CBS' "The Defenders," which was fun, didn't take itself seriously and yet still presented a more compelling story than some of its more high-minded fellow broadcast legal dramas.
8) We bought a Wii last week for the birthday of one of my kids — a gift for the family in disguise. All the guilt I had escaped by not watching reality competition shows came crashing down on me in a long afternoon of Wiiing. (A light fixture also nearly came crashing down on me as well, but crisis averted.)
9) Things I never thought I'd say: "Entourage" has bounced back a little this season, raising the stakes with Vince and Ari and mostly staying far away from the tired Eric-Sloan relationship — though this time it's Turtle I have no idea what they're doing with. "Hung," on the other hand, is making me a bit weary.
10) Where are the last two episodes of "Better Off Ted"? Surely there's some hour of ABC's summer that can make room for the single best 60 minutes of TV in 2009-10 that we never saw …