Kudofest to remain on cabler through 2013

VH1 has given a thumbs-up to three more years of the Critics’ Choice Movie Awards.

Deal with the Broadcast Film Critics Assn. will keep the kudofest on VH1 through 2013. The 16th annual event airs live from the Hollywood Palladium on Friday, Jan. 14.

VH1 has aired the Critics’ Choice kudos over the past three years. The awards show underwent a makeover last year, including a name change (adding the word “movie” to the title) and a move to the Palladium.

“There was no question that we’d ask to reup again,” said VH1 prexy Tom Calderone. “This makes sense for the network. Our audience is the crowd that goes to movies on opening nights. And this show is like the starting gun to the Oscar race.”

As part of the new deal, Jesse Ignjatovic, who just handled the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, has come on board to exec produce the Critics’ Choice Movie Awards. Ignjatovic, through his Den of Thieves shingle, last year co-produced with Bob Bain, but this time will handle it solo.

BFCA topper Joey Berlin said the org “felt valued and appreciated” by its deal with VH1.

“They’ve always done a good job promoting the show and making the event as special as it could be,” he said. “They spent a lot of money on the show.”

Berlin declined to elaborate on a license fee, only to say that the org received a “healthy increase.” Before VH1, the Critics’ Choice awards aired on E!, and also once ran on The WB. Berlin and Rod Lurie founded the BFCA in 1995.

“We’re a little not-for-profit organization,” he said. “Nobody’s looking to make a fortune off of it.”

Kristin Chenoweth hosted the last show; organizers plan to have this year’s host in place by November.

Nominees for the 16th annual show will be announced Dec. 13.

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
Post A Comment 0