Road grosses fell 7.9% in Week 9 (July 19-25) as the road felt the effects of the “Phantom of the Opera” layoff. The total gross for the 10-show slate was $11,431,844. Most of the shows actually saw an increase in grosses, with “Jersey Boys” being the sole exception. Additionally, three more records fell, one at the metropolitan level, and two at individual theaters. “The Lion King” broke the mark for highest single week theatrical gross in the history of Vancouver, B.C., netting $1,812,814. “Mamma Mia!” had held the record since 2005. Meanwhile, “Wicked” broke two more of its own house records, one at Houston’s Hobby Center, where it raked in $1,527,077, and another at Milwaukee’s Marcus Center, where it tallied $1,413,203.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- University of Central Florida, Orlando, Florida
- Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota, Florida
- MRC, Beverly Hills, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California