Road grosses fell 7.9% in Week 9 (July 19-25) as the road felt the effects of the “Phantom of the Opera” layoff. The total gross for the 10-show slate was $11,431,844. Most of the shows actually saw an increase in grosses, with “Jersey Boys” being the sole exception. Additionally, three more records fell, one at the metropolitan level, and two at individual theaters. “The Lion King” broke the mark for highest single week theatrical gross in the history of Vancouver, B.C., netting $1,812,814. “Mamma Mia!” had held the record since 2005. Meanwhile, “Wicked” broke two more of its own house records, one at Houston’s Hobby Center, where it raked in $1,527,077, and another at Milwaukee’s Marcus Center, where it tallied $1,413,203.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- MLB Network, Secaucus, New Jersey
- John Paul the Great Catholic University, Escondido, California
- Cal State U Fullerton, Fullerton, California
- Brooklyn College, CUNY, New York
- Fork Films LLC, New York, New York