Silver Spring, Maryland, June 27, 2010-AFI-Discovery Channel Silverdocs Documentary Festival announced its distinguished award winners, culminating the weeklong festival activities that included the screening of 102 films representing 54 countries, a free outdoor screening, live performances, and a five-day concurrent International Documentary Conference. The Festival is on target to host over 25,000 attendees, including more than 1,000 filmmakers, film and television executives and media professionals exploring the documentary in action, with a particular emphasis on youth, education and next generation media artists. The Audience Award winners will be announced on Monday, June 28, 2010.
This year’s Sterling Award for Best US Feature goes to WO AI NI MOMMY (I LOVE YOU, MOMMY) directed by Stephanie Wang-Breal, which documents eight-year-old Chinese Fang Sui Yong and her adoption by a Jewish couple from Long Island who name her “Faith.” The film follows Faith and her parents’ twist-and-turn journey over a year and a half. The director will receive $5,000 cash.
The Sterling US Feature Jury noted: “The film dives so deeply into its story that the filmmaker’s hands disappear. She creates a profound connection between her characters and the story she’s telling. Above all, she dares to leave us with questions to which there are no easy answers.”
- Diane Ladd Blasts Studios’ ‘Greed and Corruption’ for Pushing Leading Roles as Supporting
- Q&A: ‘Spotlight’ Screenwriter Josh Singer Discusses Papal Commission
- Sylvester Stallone Says ‘Creed’ Feels Like Rocky Balboa’s Last Ride
- Lady Gaga on Her Fearless Dive Into ‘Til It Happens to You’ With Diane Warren
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut