'Batman' star talks about start date

Christopher Nolan plans to start shooting “Batman 3″ for Warner Bros. in April, according to thesp Michael Caine.

The studio hasn’t yet officially greenlighted the pic and wasn’t immediately available for comment. Caine made the disclosure at Thursday night’s London premiere of Nolan’s “Inception” in response to a question about “Batman 3.”

“I think they’re going to do it in April, but that’s about as much as I know,” said Caine said, who portrays a professor in “Inception.”

Caine portrayed Batman’s butler, Alfred Pennyworth, in the last two Batpics. He also starred in Nolan’s “The Prestige.”

Warner Bros. announced in late April that “Batman 3″ would open on July 20, 2012. The studio and Imax had jointly disclosed a few days earlier that week that the project — the third “Batman” pic to be directed by Nolan — was one of 20 Warner projects that would be released in an Imax format before the end of 2013.

David Goyer is working with Christopher Nolan’s brother, Jonathan Nolan, on a script for the next Batman installment, based on an idea from Christopher Nolan.

Christopher Nolan and Goyer helped breathe new life into the Batman franchise in 2005 co-writing “Batman Begins,” which went on to earn $352 million worldwide. The 2008 follow-up “The Dark Knight” was co-written by the Nolans with Goyer helping develop the story, earned $1 billion.

Filed Under:

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more