But pic still nearly 3 million views ahead of pack
Oscar’s online effect has been negative so far for Fox’s “Avatar.” However, at nearly 3 million trailer views ahead of the competition, even a 47% drop doesn’t give much hope of any of the other nine best-pic noms catching up.To put it all in perspective, Summit’s “The Hurt Locker” received a 41% post-nom bump to move from No. 4 to No. 2 with 410,679 views. But that is nowhere near “Avatar” territory. Also moving up two spots to No. 3 is Paramount’s “Up in the Air.” Pic nabbed a 14% post-nom push for a total of just under 319,000 views. Like “Avatar,” Disney’s “Up” dropped in views following its best-picture nomination. Animated pic decreased 14% for a total of just under 283,000 views. But TWC’s “Inglourious Basterds” received an even bigger dip of 28%, falling two spots to No. 5 with a total of 231,479 views. Lionsgate’s “Precious” maintained its position at No. 6 with an 8% bump for just under 228,000 views. Warner Bros.’ “The Blind Side” swapped spots with Sony’s “District 9″ as pic grew by 31% to move up to No. 7 with 201,418 views while “District 9″ only increased by 1% to drop to No. 8 with 178,844 views. Out of the two smaller arthouse films rounding out the chart, Sony Pictures Classics’ “An Education” beat out Focus’ “A Serious Man” with a whopping 189% viewing increase versus 14% for the Coen Bros. pic. But the base views of “An Education” was so small it didn’t make much of a difference in the rankings as pic has a total of 51,064 views for 10th place while “A Serious Man” sits at No. 9 with 79,438 views. Data is provided by Visible Measures, an independent third-party measurement firm for internet video publishers, advertisers, and viral marketers. A joint project with Visible Measures and Variety, this chart of the top 10 online film trailers shows the week’s top-performing online video trailers with a focus on films that are within 10 weeks of general release. For more about how to interpret these results as well as additional background on the data collection methodology, please visit Visible Measures.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!