Case covers alleged multi-million dollar fraud

MILAN — George Clooney gave evidence to a Milan court on Friday in a case against three people alleged to have used his name in an intricate multi-million dollar fraud.

The accused, Vincenzo Cannalire, Francesco Galdelli and Vanja Goggi, are said to have created a clothing label using the star’s name and then conning suppliers into thinking it had his backing.

It took several attempts by Judge Pietro Caccialanza to obtain order in the packed and chaotic court room, before Clooney, with the help of a translator, declared that a series of photos with his image had been photo-shopped to make it appear that he was in the company of the one or more of the accused.

Clooney said that one of the accused, Goggi, had appeared in many photos posted on the Internet that were designed to give the impression that they were having an affair together.

The accused have denied the charges. The case continues.

Clooney is currently on holiday in Italy at his home in Laglio on the shores of Lake Como, near Milan, with his TV starlet girlfriend Elisabetta Canalis.

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more