Show relaunches as 'Kate Plus Eight'
TLC has taken Jon Gosselin out of the “Jon & Kate Plus Eight” equation.Battling falling ratings and the very public divorce between the Gosselins, TLC will relaunch the show on Nov. 2 as “Kate Plus Eight.” According to the channel, the show will now focus on Kate Gosselin’s journey as a now-single mother of eight kids. Jon Gosselin will continue to appear on the show, “but on a less regular basis,” the channel said. TLC’s “exclusive” relationship with Jon Gosselin continues, the cabler added. Jon Gosselin’s decreased role comes following media reports that suggested his off-camera antics had violated the “morals clause” in his contract, and that the channel was looking to boot him off the show. “Given the recent changes in the family dynamics, it only makes sense for us to refresh and recalibrate the program to keep pace with the family,” said TLC topper Eileen O’Neill. “The family has evolved and we are attempting to evolve with it; we feel that Kate’s journey really resonates with our viewers. Additionally the network is in development on a Kate project for 2010.” The show, originally about a young couple raising 5 year-old sextuplets and 8 year-old twins, was a ratings smash for TLC. Earlier this year, news of the Gosselins’ breakup made them tabloid stars, and briefly made the show an even bigger smash. But since then, the show has seen its viewership rapidly erode. Separately, Kate Gosselin has taped a talk show pilot with TV chef Paula Deen, while Jon Gosselin is said to also be shopping other TV projects.