Olympics TV put on hold

Objections from officials delay channel

BERLIN — The U.S. Olympic Committee is postponing plans to launch its own TV channel in the face of objections from international Olympic officials.

USOC chairman Larry Probst said Sunday he has decided to delay further development of the TV project until all issues have been resolved with the International Olympic Committee.

Probst said the USOC will “secure the full support and cooperation” of the IOC before moving ahead with the network.

The announcement came a day after Probst met in Berlin with IOC president Jacques Rogge.

The IOC criticized the USOC last month for “unilaterally” announcing plans for the channel in partnership with cable giant Comcast Corp. The IOC said the plan raised complex legal questions and could jeopardize relations with Olympic broadcaster NBC.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More TV News from Variety

Loading