Either AMC topper Charlie Collier has a great poker face or he is genuinely unconcerned that “Mad Men” creator-exec producer Matthew Weiner hasn’t signed up yet for the show’s third season.

“As long as we get the writers room up and running over the next three months, we’re fine,” said Collier after the network finished a panel for “The Prisoner,” a 1960s sci-fi series that’s getting a revision for a November launch. Collier added that the “Mad Men” isn’t behind production based on last season’s schedule and the show remains a firm go for a summer premiere.

Although the skein has never been a ratings magnet, its cache is vitally important to the network. The show has a slew of critical support, a rabid fan base and took home the Emmy in September as best drama.

“(Producer) Lionsgate continues to be in negotiations with Matt,” Collier said, with no other inside information to add. “We remain optimistic.”

That’s more upbeat than Weiner, who was upset when he spoke about the situation a few weeks ago when the show was nominated for a Golden Globe.

“This process has been going on for a long time. Everyone knew my contract was up at the end of the year. I did more than I promised I would do. It's frustrating that it's taking so long,” he said.

Weiner may add more from the podium at the Beverly Hilton on Sunday night if “Mad Men” takes home a Globe. Both the show and star Jon Hamm won last year, but with the writers strike canceling the show, nobody got a chance to speak.

— Stuart Levine

Filed Under:

Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
Post A Comment 0