‘Lost’: ‘Our greatest wish is that fans feel it was all worth it’

You Losties are amazing —188 responses, most of those containing multiple questions
for the show’s honchos, Carlton Cuse (left, below) and Damon Lindelof.
Let me tell you, it was no easy task to whittle those queries down to
20 to send to the guys. Of those 20, each showrunner picked five to
answer.

Lostpresstour
We didn’t want to leave anyone out, but Damon and Carlton agreed to answer 10. Rest assured we made every
effort to combine as many similar questions as possible so that we
would represent the most-asked questions. That said, if your question
began with “Will we ever see…?”, it didn’t make the cut since the guys
were explicit in not wanting to reveal future plot points.

With
season five down to just a couple of episodes before the two-hour
finale on May 13, the “Lost” scribes have been piling on the
revelations (Castaways worked for  the Dharma Initiative back in 1977!
Ben actually saved Rousseau’s daughter!) and filling in backstories at
breakneck pace (Glimpses of Charles Widmore in his prime have been
eye-opening, and last week’s episode on Miles’ history
was a retro gem). The time-travel aspect has been smartly fleshed out,
with Hurley and Miles debating its rules in comic style. And Damon and
Carlton have revealed via podcast the chosen name for the season
finale’s key scene (The Fork in the Outlet).

The
“Lost” showrunners have been busy this season, locking in the show’s
core characters and throughlines, keeping track of elaborate continuity
(witness the kerfuffle over Charlotte’s age)
and laying the groundwork for a grand wrap-up of all the show’s
mysteries in season six. It’s rare for a TV series with such an
intricate and serialized storyline to maintain such rabid fan interest
and confidence in the storytelling, but Damon and Carlton clearly bring
their own rich appreciation of drama, sci-fi and genre to the endeavor,
as reflected in their ongoing love for the Stephen King universe and Damon co-writing the sequel to Par’s upcoming reboot of “Star Trek.”
It’s clear from their responses to your questions that they’re both
showrunners and fans themselves, and that “Lost” proves an iconic
favorite.

UPDATE: The winner of the signed DVD set is (drumroll…) Derek, who asked the first part of the question about the predetermined end date. The scribes couldn’t pick a favorite question and neither could we so we put everyone’s name in a hat and picked a winner that way. Congratulations Derek! DVD will be along to you shortly.

Thanks for the spectacular response and enjoy the answers. Here we go:

Q.
When the show is all said and done, how do you want the show to be
remembered … and about 20 years after the show has ended would you both
be willing to be involved in the remake/relaunch of “Lost,” and if so,
what would you do differently? What has the show taught you? (Combined Ramsey Lawson and Jon P.)
DL: I
think our hope is that looking back on the entire run of the show, that
people remember the EXPERIENCE of watching it — what it actually felt
like to be mystified and frustrated and surprised — as opposed to just
where it landed storywise. When all is said and done, we’ll have
consumed six years of our fans’ lives and our greatest wish is that
they look back on that time and feel that it was all worth it. As far
as whether we’ll want to revisit “Lost” 20 years from now, the answer
is probably no… though it would be pretty cool to see what someone else
might come up with!

1. Baie geluk vir die opstel van so ‘n nuttige blog. Jou blog is ook nie slegs informatief, maar ook baie artistieke. Daar is gewoonlik uiters ‘n paar individue wat nie kan skryf nie so maklik om artikels wat kreatief. Bly op die goeie skryfwerk!

2. Humphrey says:

There is no doubt that this was a best show of the decade. I really love watching it. Would love to see next season coming soon.

3. Thanks for sharing such a useful stuff!

4. garym says:

Hey thanks for selecting this topic.. I was actually searching for the same but something very precisely explained, and this post has everything I needed.

5. Now, we can get a harvest season or two promise… ;D

6. at him nervously. His left hand touched the stone pieces, right hand heldForward claw hammer, every move seemed exhausted, as if the hammer falls fierce throwing heavy objects

7. Zenegra says:

Great Stuff.Glad to read it.
    Regards,
    Alston

8. Beats By Dre says:

The troubled Thurgood Marshall Higher College, web page of a shooting in the 2004-2005 school calendar year, also is integrated in all choices. A new constructing will replace the present

9. tyukew says:

Nice information, many thanks to the author. It is incomprehensible to me now, but in general, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and good luck!!!

10. Beats By Dre says:

Metal band, with the support group is inserted into thin rings in my ears, but also contains a red accent. What is sound? Beats by Dr. Dre from the firm Monster Cable is made,

11. can I some day write article like this (making such things?) hey :(
    but do I have to cry if I came here from buy paper , going to spend summer there

12. I am a new visitor. I like your site very much because you are updating new and different things. Thanks for sharing.

13. The blog is really informative and i like to share it with my friends. Got a lot of information from this post. Please give us some more news. Thanks for your post in fact it is an excellent post.

14. Matt says:

Lost would not be possible without the tremendous advances in visual effects technology in the last few years, especially the drop in costs and the ability to do complex visual effects on a TV budget and schedule. The island of Oahu where we shoot the show is very beautiful but also very populated and developed. We remove roads, telephone poles, houses, boats and surfers in nearly every episode.

15. Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on. Any tips?

16. corsets uk says:

17. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

18. At first,Thanks your share,Many younth people like your blogs and leaning from it.Has important implications for the future.

19. corsets uk says:

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article

20. Augh! They pick my question, and then don’t even mention the show I asked about as an influence or even say if they’ve seen it! AUUUGH! Thanks, though, guys, sincerely, for taking the time to answer these questions. If you’d like to answer about CotS directly

21. Augh! They pick my question, and then don’t even mention the show I asked about as an influence or even say if they’ve seen it! AUUUGH! Thanks, though, guys, sincerely, for taking the time to answer these questions. If

22. wedding says:

I found some interesting things and I will apply to the development of my blog.

23. Thank you for your opinion.I am totally agree with your view.I hold the same pointswith you.And thanks for your shareing again.And i think you will go with me.

24. This is my first opportunity to visit this website. I found some interesting things and I will apply to the development of my blog. Thanks for sharing useful information.

25. Like this story for me is very grateful to provide the value of information!

26. Closely attend to, respect and show appreciation of each relationship, recognizing each relationship is a gift of God.

27. Well at least Lost hadn’t been shut down prematurely like Stargate Universe.

28. Good post. Good writing. I enjoyed reading it.

29. Closely attend to, respect and show appreciation of each relationship, recognizing each relationship is a gift of God.

30. Closely attend to, respect and show appreciation of each relationship, recognizing each relationship is a gift of God.

31. C.C. Ng says:

Thanks for sharing.
    Please visit our web http://www.globalhk.net Global Technologies

32. led sign says:

thanks for share~

33. C.C. Ng says:

USB Mini Wifi Adapter from Global Technologies http://www.globalhk.net

34. C.C. Ng says:

Global Technologies is a professional manufacturer of USB Mini Wifi Adapter and Tablet PC

35. LED Tube says:

Global is professional in LED Lighting, including LED Tube, LED Bulb, LED Downlight, LED Display as well as LED Panel

36. Thanks for the great article here at your blog. I know it will help me and many others.

37. grey says:

I cant’t belive how much interest can create a tv show , i think lost is the latest great series on tv

38. series says:

I wish never finish this serie is awesome. I’m fun number one

39. Kate says:

Thanks for taking the time to compile and answer questions. It’s always good to have insight into different aspects. I can’t imagine why anyone would have expected any future storylines to be revealed :o

40. Smarter than Richard says:

Kathy,
    I doubt Richard is capable of learning much of anything. His typing and reading comprehension levels are on par with most grade school students, as you can clearly see.
    I applaud your choice of questions and respect for the artists wishes.

41. Gears says:

Wow. These were the worst chosen questions ever. Of all the things to ask… Why did you even waste their time and ours?

42. Kathy says:

Hi Richard,
    I’m sorry you were disappointed with the question selections. Since this is an industry site and not a fan site we try to give people some insight into how the process works on a TV show. Also, we felt it was important to respect Damon and Carlton’s request to stay away from plot related queries. I hope that you were able to still enjoy the answers and perhaps learn something along the way.
    Kathy

43. Joshua Hellbiter says:

Did you know Damon Lindelof and Jeff Katz will be at Meltdown Comics tomorrow talking about LOST, Hulk vs Wolverine, Wolverine movie and Star Trek. Check out their site http://www.meltcomics.com. That shop is amazing, so many good interviews and appearances.

44. Aaron says:

Great stuff.
    @Spymunk
    presumably, they didn’t mention your show because it _wasn’t_ a significant influence. IOW, they answered you directly. Yay!

45. Richard says:

Why didn;t you guys ask real questions? What the hell is the smoke fo rexample. Asking who their influence was was just stupid.

46. dmann says:

I just got an email from variety saying i won….
    wow, AWESOME!

47. Brian says:

Nobody used my question about why that one episode was shot upside-down? :(

48. Brian O'Riordan says:

My question was also picked but not really answered. Can’t complain though as I’m on a bit of a role with the boys at the mo as I’m the one who suggested the hooded leprechaun :)

49. Niche says:

Someone should have asked why Kate was allowed to board Ajira 316, when part of her court sentencing last season clearly stated she was not allowed to leave the State.