Other TV contenders with a shot at an award
- Co-writer/ producer Rosie O’Donnell plays a therapist working with a 17-year-old (Philip Johnson) who’d been taken from his crack-addicted mother, only to spend 11 years lost in the foster care system.
- Adapted from a novel by social worker E.R. Frank, pic was directed by Emmy winner Yves Simoneau (“Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee”).
- Both the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. and the Screen Actors Guild nominated Shirley MacLaine for her turn as the French couturiere.
- MacLaine got there first, but she isn’t the only thesp to step into Chanel’s shoes. Audrey Tautou and Anna Mouglalis play the fashion designer in separate theatrical features.
- Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. plays a neurosurgeon (facing a daunting procedure — separating twins conjoined at the head) who rose to prominence from rocky origins in this incredible story of self-made success.
- Co-star Kimberly Elise earned strong notices for her turn as Carson’s illiterate, yet supportive, mother, prominently featured in the pic’s extensive flashbacks.
- This sequel to 2002’s Emmy-lauded “The Gathering Storm” follows Winston Churchill as the prime minister’s mettle is tested by World War II.
- Brendan Gleeson assumes the role that won Albert Finney an Emmy, transforming both his voice and physical appearance to become the stolid world leader in this HBO-BBC co-production.
- Tom Selleck has now played small-town Massachusetts police chief Jesse Stone five times. In “Thin Ice,” he butts heads with the town council after being caught in a public shoot-out.
- Selleck has received seven Emmy noms over his career, including one for his perf in 2007’s “Jesse Stone: Sea Change.”
- “Masterpiece Mystery!” produced three stand-alone cases featuring the surly Swedish detective, based on the Henning Mankell novels and played by Kenneth Branagh.
- Though Branagh is best known for his stage and bigscreen credentials, the thesp has received three previous Emmy noms, the most recent being for 2005’s “Warm Springs.”
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!