Bowl shows include Philip Glass, Beastie Boys
Herbie Hancock has been named the Los Angeles Philharmonic’s creative chair for jazz and will begin a two-year tenure starting with the 2010 season.Hancock will succeed Christian McBride, who has held the post since 2006. He will oversee jazz programming at the Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl. The Bowl also rounded out its summer season at Monday’s announcement, filling in some of the TBA dates. Some of the new and previously announced highlights:
- Faith Hill will make her Bowl debut on July 17 and 18.
- The Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame will induct Kiri Te Kanawa and Josh Groban on June 19; past inductees John Williams and Garth Brooks will present the evening.
- Philip Glass, also making his Bowl debut, will accompany the film “Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance” on July 23 in a new arrangement commissioned by the L.A. Phil.
- Jewel and Michael Feinstein will present “The Art of Song” on July 24 and 25.
- A concert adaptation of “Guys and Dolls” will be staged July 31 and Aug. 1 and will star Jessica Biel, Scott Bakula, John Mahoney and Brian Stokes Mitchell.
- Placido Domingo will make his Bowl conducting debut, collaborating with Yo-Yo Ma in an Aug. 25 perf.
- Liza Minnelli will appear on Aug. 28 and 29.
- “Rodgers and Hammerstein at the Movies” will rep the venue’s Big Picture night, on Sept. 6.
- The Beastie Boys will make their Bowl debut on Sept 24.