Comic-Con highlights unique publicity stunts
It wouldn’t be Comic-Con without high-concept promotional stunts designed to get the fans talking. And while the grim economic outlook may have muted the event’s more outrageous side, there’s still plenty of madness to go around.
- “Watchmen” fans don’t have to be in San Diego to witness a Zack Snyder-moderated screening, thanks to Blu-ray Live technology. At 9:30 p.m. Saturday, the director answers questions while his extended cut unspools, with viewers following along in their living rooms.
- Focus Features will affix QR codes to downtown pedicabs. Snapping the code by cameraphone unlocks one of four exclusive messages from the Tim Burton-produced toon “9.”
- Thursday night, Summit is staggering 15 screenings of “Twilight” at the Pacific Gaslamp Ttheaters, with different stars popping in to do intros.
- WB will unleash a 6-foot Giant Booger Monster made of green slime from “Shorts,” not far from the “Where the Wild Things Are”-themed “ultimate fort.”
- Grab your kneepads for Adult Swim’s “Robot Chicken: Star Wars – Episode II” Roller Skating Tour, which creators and executive producers Seth Green and Matt Senreich debut on Saturday.
- Con vet Ultra Prods. (it’s produced booths for “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Snakes on a Plane”) has reteamed with NBC’s “Heroes” to unveil four new Nissan Cubes (as featured on the show). “We’re giving away one each day of the Con,” reports Ultra CEO Maximillian Castillo. “Getting exclusive limited edition items and giveaways are a very big deal at Comic-Con. We’re upping the bar for giveaways big-time!”
- At Paramount’s booth, fans can be photographed at the helm of the Enterprise, hang with galactic green girls and enter to win a limited-edition Captain’s chair to tie in with the DVD and Blu-ray debut of “Star Trek.”
- U is hosting concerts from “Battlestar Galactica” composer Bear McCreary at the House of Blues over three nights, hosted by Edward James Olmos and Grace Park.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!