One day you’re directing one of the summer’s biggest tentpoles, the next you’re not.
At least, that’s how it seems, depending on which websites you read.
Fan sites were in a lather Thursday, running with a rumor that originally appeared on a message board on producer Don Murphy’s site, that Stephen Sommers had been fired from Paramount’s “G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra.”
Report said the director had been banned from the editing room and that Stuart Baird was hired to re-edit the pic after a string of poor test screenings.
None of that is true, however.
Sommers was never let go from the project and is still putting his final touches on the actioner, which bows Aug. 7.
In fact, as part of his contract Sommers has final cut. And the test screenings that have taken place have resulted in mostly positive reviews.
The incident marks the latest example of studios having to combat false rumors just because film news sites and bloggers are eager to break news about a hot property.
“In this day and age we are constantly dealing with online rumors that take on a life of their own,” says a Paramount spokeswoman. “We love Steve and couldn’t be happier with the movie he made.”
Murphy has since removed the false posting from his Angry Films site. And “G.I. Joe” producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura has responded directly to websites saying, “It’s very unfair to Steve. It’s completely untrue. He was never asked to leave or been fired. That’s ridiculous.”