Rapper's request to stop film's release denied
A state court judge has refused a request by rapper Lil Wayne to block the release of QD3 Entertainment’s documentary “The Carter.”
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael S. Mink denied Wayne’s request for a preliminary injunction this week.
The film, written and directed by Adam Bhala Lough, was an official selection at Sundance.
Wayne sued QD3, QD3 topper Quincy Jones III and Digerati Holdings last month, alleging Wayne was not allowed to exercise his right of approval over the contents of the film.
Reps for Wayne were not immediately available for comment.
Jones said Tuesday the ruling frees QD3 to seek distribution of the film.
“We’re very pleased with the court’s decision,” Jones said. “We made a great film, which was incredibly well received at Sundance, and showcases Lil Wayne’s extraordinary talent.”