Giffoni Experience unveils lineup

Festival opens with 'Harry Potter'

The Giffoni children’s film festival, this year renamed the Giffoni Experience, announced its heavyweight line-up Wednesday.

The fest opens July 12 with WB’s previously announced “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” and closes July 25 with Disney’s Hoyt Yeatman-helmed “G-Force.”

“S. Darko,” Chris Fisher’s sequel to the cult hit “Donnie Darko,” and Jorge Blanco’s cartoon sci-fi adventure “Planet 51” will also premiere in the town of Giffoni Valle Piana on the Amalfi Coast, along with “Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience.”

Fest founder and artistic director, Claudio Gubitosi, said challenging themes would be addressed this year, with a look at a range of subjects, including homosexuality and euthanasia.

About 120,000 attendees are expected for free screenings of around 160 entries.

Gubitosi added that the organizers were particularly proud of the youngsters’ involvement, with 2,800 jurors ages 3-17 attending the cinematic extravaganza as guests of local families. “Giffoni is not just a festival; it’s a formative, creative itinerary,” he said.

Winona Ryder, Naomi Watts, Eva Mendes and Christina Ricci will provide Hollywood glamour to the home-grown stars.

The Vittorio Mezzogiorno prize will be announced July 25.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More Biz News from Variety

Loading