‘Ugly Betty’: ‘We always want to surprise our audience’

Posted by Kathy Lyford

The Ugly Betty Q&A is ready! Silvio Horta has responded to your questions and the answers are below.

I sent him all the compliments that preceded the questions and they made him very happy. He received all of your questions and he chose the following ones to answer. (I requested that he answer at least one Gio question since so many of you seemed to be interested in that character.) In some cases, similar questions were combined.

Horta_2You won’t find a sweeter guy in Hollywood than Silvio Horta. He never has a bad word to say about anyone and he’s very humble. His family and his culture are very important to him. He’s very proud of his show and I’m sure he’d want to thank all of you for watching. (I love this picture of him from last year’s Emmys with all his girls.)

And I would like to thank Silvio for his time because I know he has very little of it to spare. I’d also like to thank each of you for participating and waiting so patiently for the answers. And here we go…

Q. How closely are the characters in Ugly Betty based on the other Betty show around the world?
— James
A. “Ugly Betty” is based on the Colombian television show, “Yo Soy Betty La Fea,” which roughly translates to “I am Betty the ugly one.” Of course Betty’s character resembles her Colombian counterpart, but in personality she is vastly different. This comes from cultural differences, my writing choices, America Ferrera’s acting choices, and so on. The shape and premise of the series is the same, but the characters, their stories, their voice, etc. are different.

Q. Do you still use the green screen process since you’ve moved to New York and do you find filming in the actual city takes more time than in the studio with the special effects? — Lynn
A. We may occasionally use green screen effects in episodes, but we don’t use them to simulate New York anymore. Filming exterior scenes in New York, for instance, is much easier and rewarding now.  The city is a pleasure to work in and with and our shots come out more beautifully than we could have ever faked in Los Angeles. Part of this is because when we had to use N.Y. in the background while filming in L.A., we still had to use actual background footage shot in N.Y., and filming the actors in front of a green screen instead of a real environment added a layer of artificialness that was difficult to overcome. Now that we can film the actors in the actual N.Y. environments in which the show is set, the payoff is exponentially satisfying.

1. michaelp says:

Your blog articles are really innovative and the writing materials inspire me a lot every time you post it…this one is fantastic.

2. adwesakew says:

I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

3. Hey ! am I glad to vist your blog ! from this I can get some information and facts that I didn’t know prior to. You made my day. Thank you rather much!

4. Pretty Betty says:

This show is full of surprises indeed. Just the other day I found out they had canceled the series. Now I find out the actress that plays Betty is actually not Ugly? WOW!

5. wooster182 says:

Thank you for asking the Gio question! There are several of us who really do care about this plotline and I’m so glad that it got answered.
    And thanks for having the interiew as a whole. It’s great when a Power that Is gives us some time. :)

6. Sal says:

Thank you so much Kathy for giving us fans this wonderful opportunity to ask Silvio Horta questions!!! You Rock!!! And please thank Silvio Horta for taking the time to answer us, I really appreciate it and I’m so excited that he actually answered two of my questions!!!!!!! AAAAAAH!! (getting fan-girly) I’m fascinated by so many things about the show and how it’s created. I’m just as interested in what happens on the show each week, as what goes on behind the scenes and all the people involved in bringing it to life. So getting answers directly from the guy who makes it all possible is unbelievable!!
    I REALLY hope the chemistry between Gio and Betty that Mr.Horta talked about was taken into consideration when they were planning the third season!
    Have a lufly day,
    Sal. :)

7. Lynn says:

Thank you for giving us this opportunity and please thank Mr. Horta for taking the time to communicate with the fans.

8. Beatrice B says:

By the way, thanks for helping him address some of the Freddy Rodriguez/Gio questions. Overall I like his responses. Horta seems vague most of the time but it was kind of him to answer us. I think he really doesn´t want to give much away and he seems really diplomatic. Hopefully he convinces Freddy Rodriguez to be a regular eventually. That would be a nice choice since TV is not in its best moment nowadays.
    I am happy they are putting more effort in developing Danie´s character and his “growing up”. That character has been neglected many times. I am looking forward for next season. Of course, the more Gio the better.
    Thanks again.

9. Beatrice B says:

Thanks very much for this. I am glad Horta took time to respond.