‘Big Bang Theory’: Jim Parsons — ‘Everybody has a little Sheldon in them’

Posted by Kathy Lyford

Here are the answers to your questions for “The Big Bang Theory star Jim Parsons, who plays neurotic genius Sheldon Cooper on the CBS comedy, which is one of my favorite shows and one of the few comedies that qualifies as appointment TV for me.

For this Q&A we’re trying a little something different: All your questions were answered via video. It seems actors aren’t as camera shy as showrunners.

JimpMany of you were curious about how much Jim has in common with Sheldon. Well, the answer is not much. Let’s see. They look alike. They sound the same, right down to the Texas twang. They’re both adorable. They’re both smart, but in different ways. They both excel in their chosen professions.

The differences are more profound. Jim dresses better. (Although if you dig Sheldon’s wardrobe, visit this fan site devoted to his t-shirts). Sheldon is socially awkward to the point of ineptitude. Jim is personable, charming, outgoing and witty. Sheldon is seemingly interested only in science, video games and comic books. Jim’s hobbies don’t include any of those. And while I would never pretend to know about his interests after a two-hour meeting, I can tell you that Jim and I chatted before and after the interview about many topics of interest to both of us: Theater, the state of the economy, the recent election, L.A. real estate, ping-pong (he plays; there’s even a “BBT” cast and crew tournament), poker (I try to play), crosswords, blogs and chatrooms, documentaries, the changing television business, critics, movies, restaurants and “Friday Night Lights” (I can bring that series up in any conversation. I’ve now proved it.)

Jim made my job very easy. He not only answered the questions he read them too (sometimes with comments directed toward the person asking). So I got to just sit there and enjoy his delightful company and giggle. Of course, I did have to edit and upload the videos — hence the slight delay. Turns out I’m more of a Penny than a Sheldon when it comes to technology.

Before we start the questions, here’s a short thank you from Jim for all of you who participated plus a special announcement about which one of you won the autographed season one DVD set.

1. toko sendal says:

The information and the detail were just perfect. I think that your perspective is deep, it’s just well thought out and really fantastic to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts down so well.

2. Thanks for all the videos! You are doing such a great work here, thank you

3. nike shox nz says:

Pretty goeie post. Ek het net gestruikel het op jou blog en wou sê dat ek regtig geniet die lees van jou blog boodskappe. Enige manier wat ek sal inskrywende na jou voer en ek hoop dat jy gou weer post.

4. Ohh wow.. love the list…. some nice new ones I haven’t seen before as well!!

5. I hope the author, try, try, try again!

6. Matt says:

I have to make an actual concerted effort to not activity dislike Jim Parsons…..as a person or as an actor. His character in Big Bang is so completely revolting and loses much of his potential humor due to a mean spiritedness the needs to be played instead with cluelessness. I am sure he is a fine actor and person, but, for his sake, he really should speak with his writers about making Sheldon just a bit less poisonous!

7. This individual is cheap true religion and one to be protected at all jeans. In this dark time I fear he has real enemies as does true freedom and real democracy.

8. fake oakleys says:

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. I’ve already bookmark this article and will definitely refer this article

9. Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this, I feel fervently about this and I like learning about this subject. especially the last part:) I have this information it is seeking care for a very long LottietimeThank you, I wish you good luck for specific information

10. mac makeup says:

An understanding, a rise, a very good guide can certainly make a man or woman to raise that quality, thanks for your time designed for writing, Most definitely i’ll with care investigate the products to help make by themself full!

11. Casual Shoes says:

12. This article is well written,give a person very deep impression, I really have no language to describe it, I hope the authors make persistent efforts, come on!

13. Great Site, your plugins are very useful and save me a tonne of time.jhdts grfdg

14. Nice hosting! It’s my first time to read like this article.gvrws fgrr

15. “meng niu zai wo chuang shang”….what’s your mean…thank u .Jimmy,
    You know,,there are such a lot your fans in China, We call you “Shel Erdo”…hoho.

16. The lyrics you will want by way of the consumers everyone praise, including: Individuality should not be engineered during lessen together with restful. Mainly thru experience of trial period together with having difficulties will any conscience get strengthened, dream stimulated, together with results produced. University or college is not really the location going meant for recommendations. Fatality is certainly around completing in room in your home towards one other. However , we have a main difference in my situation, you no doubt know. Given that in that , many other room in your home That i will certainly be ready to look at. All the things has got a charms, quite possibly darkness together with quiet, together with That i know, regardless of what status I may maintain, therein to generally be material. Beliefs stands out as the sturdiness whereby a good shattered society will certainly appear within the brightness.

17. zurna says:

Chinese tone really confused me and other guys in china:)

18. ankara chat says:

This interview was really good, thanks for doing it for us. And I must say, I’m jealous you spent so much time with him LOL, Jim seems very nice :)

19. Gravity acting in the hidden dimensions affects other non-gravitational forces such as electromagnetism. In fact, Kaluza’s early work demonstrated that general relativity in five dimensions actually predicts the existence of electromagnetism.

20. David Tenderfoot says:

Good interviews need good subjects, of course, but they also need good questions and here are such good questions.
    Well done those who offered them and she who presented them.
    I stumbled upon the interview on Youtube and enjoyed the conversation very much.

21. takineko says:

This is my favorite interview of Jim’s. Up close and personal, and long so we can just listen to him talk. Almost like we’re there!

22. Kseniya says:

And does he have a page it???? Prompt me as possible to find him))))))))))

23. Kathy Lyford says:

Sara,
    The answer about falling in video part 3 is this:
    “Any time someone falls, it’s amusing, as long as they don’t break anything. Kaley’s done it more than most, although Johnny threw his knee out once, but that wasn’t funny… until later.”
    KL

24. Bekurah says:

Ok sure, the writers are best suited to answer the Penny/Sheldon question… but c’mon, we wanted to hear what Jim had to say too, and it seamed like he was going to say something. D=
    Oh well… anyway, great interview. Sheldon/Jim remains to be my main reason for watching and my fav part of the show. ^^

25. Sara says:

The one question I have – and the one line he says I can’t figure out is when he’s mentioning funny bits he says when people fall it’s always funny, so long as they don’t hurt themselves… Kayley more than most…
    …and then I can’t understand what he says until “and that wasn’t funny… until later”… could someone let me know what he said there?

26. His entire answer to “Will Sheldon ever hook up with Penny” was “I’m not even going to hazard a guess. ‘Will Sheldon ever hook up with Penny?’ Is there a God?” He doesn’t know the answer to that. Only the writers would know.

27. jane says:

what happened to jim’s response on the penny and sheldon hook up? it seems that he was beginning to answer the question, when it was awkwardly ended by your edit.

28. euclid says:

transcript pls. some of us are in an office.

29. Kathy says:

Sorry DVZs, that’s not possible on this one. I hope you enjoy the videos anyway.

30. DVZs says:

Any chance of having the answers also written down? Nice touch to have them on video, but as you mentioned the background noise is sometimes a bit too much to tolerate. Would be nice to have a transscript of the videos.
    Thanks.

31. Jiangtou PRINCESS says:

I am a Chinese, do you know that your Chinese tone really confused me and other guys in china. haha,,,,
    No one can sure that your exactly mean when you said in chinses restaurant SEASON1 EP17 sounds like “meng niu zai wo chuang shang”….what’s your mean…thank u .Jimmy,

32. Anita says:

33. Rupa Dore says:

You are very handsome, something that was not even mentioned in the interview ! Like Danny Kaye who was very good looking but hid the fact under all the tomfoolery to make a good comedian, you do the same! !